Andy's clodzilla II

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Administrator

Andy's clodzilla II

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 pm

This started as a basket case....... :roll:
Rcmaniac78 and BackToThePast may find that it looks familiar some how.... :lol:

I have been acumulating clod parts for a while now and the time has come to use some of them.
The axles needed going through. One wasn't bad, I think it took 2 partial assemblies and some spares to make the other one.
Both now have full bearings.

The chassis was tweaked.....no idea how that happenned....cough....Rcmaniac78......cough..... :lol:
After some creative counter-twisting, it looks pretty straight now, although getting the axles lined up straight (90 deg) to the chassis was a royal PITA....

Shocks are regular traxxas, appear to be slash rears. Axle stiffeners are ESP, rear machined steering lock-outs/stiffeners are CPE. Also seen are outer axle stiffeners F/R but I only used the lowers as I didn't like the way the uppers fit. Front servo mount is either ESP or new era, not sure, got it 3rd hand.

Notice the axle's are not level, (mostly the rear one), yet another adjustment I had to make.
Last edited by andymac0035 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Re: Andy's clodzilla II

Post by vwjuice » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:06 pm

How did you get the axles level? Mine are wayyyyyyy off. Mine are rotated at about 20degrees, maybe a tad more.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

todd ritchings
Approved Member

Post by todd ritchings » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:12 pm

I would say he cut the links down?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:13 pm

vwjuice wrote:How did you get the axles level? Mine are wayyyyyyy off. Mine are rotated at about 20degrees, maybe a tad more.
You've been letting Charlie and Halgar help you haven't you?...... :lol:

You got to loosen the link mounts at the chassis, line it up, and re-tighen. There is a LOT of slop in the chassis holes......washers are a good idea too. If you look close you can see the ones I used on the uppers, the lowers I think were fine, but I was also using the tamiya flanged nuts so that's almost like adding a washer.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:15 pm

My problem is worse than that. It's almost like the upper links are 1/4" too short but they're all the same length. it's really annoying. I've been thinking about getting new upper links made to solve the problem.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 pm

@Todd, nope, if you look in the very first pic, the holes for the upper links are oversize. Don't know why, but that gave adjustment room, and using the washers covered the oversize chassis holes.

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:21 pm

What. i would never tell you to cut anything short. i would tell you to buy longer ones. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have never had that problem before. i always tip mine a little bit so that the motor is up a little. Oh and just about every zilla2 chasse has those big ol holes in the side. i dont know why. maybe when the first put them out the links where bigger i dont know :? :?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 pm

So then I went to mount the EVX-2 and hook it up to the titan 21t monster 550's.....Houston, we have a problem....

Esc wires were too short to reach the motors, stock clod tray needs adaptors that I didn't have, and the batteries were getting in the way too.....

The solution came in the form of using the central servo mount for the stock-style steering, an EVX-2 bolts right up to it. This put all wires within reach, and negated the need for an electonics tray, and maybe to some small degree will help COG.

After that I worked on battery placement. I had planed to put them cross-ways, but that put them directly over the esc's heatsinc. Running them lengthways was ideal, and also easier to strap in. (I will be using 2 straps per battery)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Okay......so, got that all sorted out, next came the steering. I have always liked the looks of this style mount.
I had to shorten the long tie-bar for whatever reason (I actually shortened the link ends), because it was towed outwards. Linkage looks nice straight and level.

Next I needed to mount up my slash reciever box. Hmmmm....no tray ......
So I used a stock crossbar and a pair of small bushings as spacers to fill the void of that shallow slot/valley. Then used the actual section from a slash 2WD chassis that the rx box mounts on.

I used a rear crossbar because it has an antenna mount, but due to body fitment, I had to actually drill the bottom of the tubehole out and mount it a bit low.
There, all electrics sorted out.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 am

There, now it's looking like a clod!

You may notice adaptors under the bodymounts.......stock clod steering servo horns!
They were nessessary to keep from drilling new holes in......

This!

Shot showing the barrel nuts, truck has TTR widening kit.

And of course......obligatory flex-shots!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:35 am

vwjuice wrote:How did you get the axles level? Mine are wayyyyyyy off. Mine are rotated at about 20degrees, maybe a tad more.
Hey Juicy, after thinking about it for a bit.......

The upper links seem to have more to do with getting the axle straight, and the lower's had more of an effect on the tilt of it.

mugen69
Approved Member

Post by mugen69 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:37 am

Very nice build. make me wish I kept my clodzilla II.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:12 am

You never cease to amaze me my good man!

Keep it up, lets get to the video. Some good hard work there is going to pay off.

I really like the way the batts mount and how you managed to adapt a few old parts with the new. Nice job man!!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:08 am

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

So,
I ran it today, an intitial break in run, and afterwards an initial beak-it run.....LOL
(I did get good running time in before things went south though)

So it went like this:

After many.....many jumps and what-not.....
Popped a shock, no biggy put it back on (did this more than once)
Truck was tracking funny (rear links loosened up) (and then tightened up)
Then after a bit the front end started to wander.......
One of the front links came all the way loose.....it's day was done.

After the snow dried off it......
I proceeded to line things up and use lock-tight on the link screws this time.
Got it all done and went to wiggle the axles and see if all was good and tight.

This was when I discovered that each axle had a broken axle-tube....

I've been working on it all night and am almost done. I would have been done sooner, but I just had to mess with stuff while I had it apart. Just need to put the front axle back on and see if things still line up.

......I'm betting they don't and I have to re-adjust everything. And if that wasn't enough, I ran the mod-clod too and it broke an axle-tube as well, and also needs it's links tightened too.

But......between those two colds, and my rustlers, I got 5 runs in today, so far from a total loss. :)

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:02 am

Not a total loss at all. You need some alum axle tubes.

I think it would be well worth it to get some, tighten up the weak links maybe?...