Help a newb choose...

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
xiage965

Help a newb choose...

Post by xiage965 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:42 pm

Selling off a clodzilla 4 to get a real crawling chassis. I'd like to keep the cost down, but I want a good crawler. My options are TTR Rage, GeckoI or II. Which way should I go??

Krod Clod

Post by Krod Clod » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:48 pm

between the rage and a gecko??

definately Gecko. But get the LWB or the Pro ed. The longer wheelbase of either of those will be better if you want a serious crawling chassis! 8)
:invisable:
black is back

xiage965

Post by xiage965 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:05 am

Thanks for the reply. Is the LWB available in the gecko I, II or both? From what I see the only difference between the two is the lower arms/the way the shocks mount to the arm.

Krod Clod

Post by Krod Clod » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:09 am

The LWB is not the same as a G2. the lower arms are different as you mentioned. They are actually 5/16" rather than 1/4" thick, and they are rod, not machined bar stock.

My old gecko LWB 50/50 kit from RCGUY and a closeup of the links.

black is back

Toyofast
Approved Member

Post by Toyofast » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:16 am

Go TCS Xtreme and never look back! The future will be TCS like rigs.

xiage965

Post by xiage965 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:34 am

wow, that tcs rig is wild, but how do you mount a body? With out a cool body, it wouldn't be any fun!! Besides....future usualls = expensive!

Sypher
Approved Member

Post by Sypher » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:30 am

Toyofast wrote:Go TCS Xtreme and never look back! The future will be TCS like rigs.
Ya, all $230 of it. :roll:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4914
"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Krod Clod

Post by Krod Clod » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:49 am

The TCS is impressive....
Those are a derivation of Kevin's stick chassis correct??

Dig it
black is back

mnstrbetle
Approved Member

Post by mnstrbetle » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:45 pm

I guess I'm just not impressed with the 'walking stick' chassis. Future or not it just plain looks silly. And I don't really see two hundred dollars worth of aluminum in the whole thing :roll:
Hurricanes...earthquakes...tsunamis...tornadoes....No Thanks, I'll take a snow storm any day.

Big Schott

Post by Big Schott » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:02 pm

For $23 you could get enough aluminum to make 10 of them! :? I like the idea and I think I will make one. I will get pictures and a dollar amount. It shouldn't take more than a week to make. (in my spare time) :wink:

Till next time

Toyofast
Approved Member

Post by Toyofast » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:59 am

Big Schott wrote:For $23 you could get enough aluminum to make 10 of them! :? I like the idea and I think I will make one. I will get pictures and a dollar amount. It shouldn't take more than a week to make. (in my spare time) :wink:

Till next time

Right :roll: The TCS is CNC'ed which means that each one will be exactly like the next, be it 1 or 100.... they will all be the same. I highly doubt that you can make 10 of them to be as well made as the TCS, especially not for a total investment of $23.

I love you people that shoot down the future of crawling and can't see what's really under the skin of each product.

Krod Clod

Post by Krod Clod » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:22 am

I do agree with toyo on this one, although i have disagreed in the past.

The TCS's design IS superior to the rest for a hardcore crawling chassis...
and although the parts dont total to 200 dollars, the time + the parts + the R&D needed to make it work and work WELL, is worth the $$$. You could BUILD something similar to it....but the likelyhood of the geometry being right on the first time, or the parts being made to any kind of tolerance, are slim to none (barring your ownership/access to a machine shop)

I've done my homework on the parts...and the design elements on that chassis...it adds up, and it works. People pay almost that much for something like a gecko, or inet chassis...and even MORE for a tuber chassis. Those are all very much "popular" designs that work, but are becoming commonplace. Think outside the box.

8)
black is back

Acurabat

Post by Acurabat » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:31 am

Wow, $229 for that? Did this person expect it to sell like crazy? The R&D shot the price way up there.

I guess typical people would see this chassis as something that is very cheaply built and priced at $229. I don't doubt that lots of time and effort went into this stick and that it does perform well. But I do doubt that people will get rid of what they have now for that.

It would also be just nice if every single product we buy had the R&D price tacked onto it :roll: How is the labor/R&D/machines calculated? Too bad most buyers care about the price.

Try going door to door selling this $229 rod to the crawler community and see how many people slam the door on you...?

I'll put money on this thing in competitions. But as for business I wouldn't. If this chassis was cheaper or more typical then you wouldn't hear much about it. Since its priced high with something that looks like a huge rod with axles stuck on it, what kind of response you expect from others?

mnstrbetle
Approved Member

Post by mnstrbetle » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:00 am

LOL...research and development...to play with toys, and then have the balls to charge for it.

Someone has got too much time on their hands :roll:
Hurricanes...earthquakes...tsunamis...tornadoes....No Thanks, I'll take a snow storm any day.

Big Schott

Post by Big Schott » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:23 pm

Toyofast wrote:
Big Schott wrote:For $23 you could get enough aluminum to make 10 of them! :? I like the idea and I think I will make one. I will get pictures and a dollar amount. It shouldn't take more than a week to make. (in my spare time) :wink:

Till next time

Right :roll: The TCS is CNC'ed which means that each one will be exactly like the next, be it 1 or 100.... they will all be the same. I highly doubt that you can make 10 of them to be as well made as the TCS, especially not for a total investment of $23.

I love you people that shoot down the future of crawling and can't see what's really under the skin of each product.
Come on!!! The thing is a 16" long piece of 1/2" soild stock. $2.00 at most.

A couple of 1/4" thick pieces 2"X1" That have been tapped and mounted to the arm. $3.00 at most!

4 solid stock pieces 5"X 1/4" (approximate) W/ Traxxas ends. $3.00
2 Soild stock pieces for steering W/Traxxas ends $2.00

A couple of flat 1/4" pieces for mounting the batt and electronics. $3.00

The only thing I would have to think about how to make is the part that the axels rotate on. I think I could come up with somehing that would work for $5.00

Screws and nuts and extras to put it together $5.00
Finaly two pieces W/angles for mounting the servos. $3.00

Total... $26.00 (I'm off by a WHOPPING $3.00!!)

Now I understand that some parts may cost more and some less so I'll say $30.00. Now, If TCS Xtreme is making 100 or more then it should cost them less than the $30.00 I came up with.

Also, I wouldn't need 10 or 100 I only would need 1. So teel me ...

Is the $230 worth it?? Even if I invested $50 into this I would have a good deal.