Venom chassis

Support forum for RCGUY products.

Moderator: RCGUY

Demon_Knight

Venom chassis

Post by Demon_Knight » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:04 pm

Hey, RCguy. I was looking into buying a chassis for bashing around in and had a look at your venom. Can you use a straight shock setup with it? How thick is the aluminium of the chassis? Reckon I could find space for four 6 cells packs at the bottom of it? Does it have antisway bars? Reckon you're gonna make suspension links thicker as in 5/16 inch instead of 1/4 inch?Thanks in advance!

RCGUY
Business Member

Post by RCGUY » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:31 pm

Hello Demon_Knight
The Venom is a designed to be used with cantilever mounted shocks and is built using 3.2 mm alum. The design of the chassis with its 8 crossmembers and 2 U-channel plates makes it strong enough to take all the abuse that a clod can dish out. There is going to be a new Venom with 4mm sides that are machined to give the chassis a more realistic appearance out next month.
With its wheel base it does not require 5/16" links. We have made 5/16" links for special long wheelbase trucks but do not produce them for the normal Venom or Gecko. The thicker links only add unnecessary weight to the truck. The 1/4" links do not bend before the gear boxes are destroyed by extreme forces. If you are building a truck with an extra long wheelbase it is necessary to either use thicker links 5/16 or even 3/8" or else use 1/4" steel if you want to keep a scale look.
Thicker links are not necessarily better, they add weight to the truck which consumes battery life and adds wear to your motors. With the battery located at the bottom of the frame the Clodbuster is a very stable vehicle and really does not need additional ballast.
The Venom does not use or need antisway bars. The suspension is designed to prevent sway without the addition of extra parts.

A straight shock chassis was produced with the same sides as the Venom but without the cantilever mounts. This chassis was not as stable as the Venom and did require a swaybar. We dropped it as we learned more about suspension geometry and vehicle handling.. You could perhaps find one on eBay it was called the "Raptor"

The Venom is designed for up to to 2 batteries. Batteries are very heavy and quickly take away from the performance of the truck. One way to get better performance is to up the number of cells in each battery pack. An 8-cell 1700mAh battery pack and 2 14 turn motors will provide just as much of an increase in torque and speed as going to two or more batteries. This is because you gain very little weight, while still adding significant power to your clod.

Demon_Knight

Post by Demon_Knight » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:47 am

Thanks for the reply michael. I will be using aluminium gearboxes and steel gears and will definitely be mounting 24 cells! So 5/16 inch is not worth it huh? Well, since you're the expert, you know better. I've never bent any of my 1/4 inch links but my clod will have a lot of power(2000W, 2.5hp) with its brushless motors and the links will take a lot of the strain. Can I mount 8 shocks on the cantilever system of the venom? thanks
Last edited by Demon_Knight on Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sharkman
Approved Member

Post by Sharkman » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:15 pm

Demon Knight,Hope you don't mind me cuttin in here,but what brushless set-up will you be using to warrant 24-cells??!!!! I'm no guru but I've had a ton of experiance with High cell count electric powerboats w/ brushless motors and esc's.I'll only say that 24 -cells in a clod "will" be way overkill,and one might consider to use less cells. E-mail me as I'm very interested in your 24-cell project.looking forward to hearing from you.
Sharkman
Pitbull Racing