Basher67's Custom Clodbuster

Talk about the Clodbuster and all other motor on axle trucks and crawlers.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Basher67
First real R/C car: Tamiya Hornet

Basher67's Custom Clodbuster

Post by Basher67 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 pm

This is the first Clod I have tried to do a custom build with. I have owned a few clods over the years and have always restored or fixed and then sold them. The reason for this is I think stock clodbusters suck! :lol: Before the riot over this starts, hear me out. When I was young, quite some time ago, I first got into rc and bought a second hand Tamiya hornet and not too long after I acquired a well beaten used Tamiya Lunchbox. The lunchbox quickly became my favorite rc and I eventually put a modified motor in it which made it pretty fast for bitd. I had a buddy from school who received a clodbuster for Christmas. I couldn't even imagine how awesome that truck was going to be! It was huge! Two motors, four wheel drive and four wheel steering! It must be the greatest rc truck of all time! When he finished building it over a week later and brought it out to play in our neighborhood lot, I couldn't believe what a disappointment it was. It didn't turn good and was slow and stiff. My little lunchbox was running circles around him. The afternoon ended with him breaking something and him going home none too happy. As a vintage rc collector, I can appreciate the clodbuster for what it is. The problems I have with them is nothing new to you guys around here, i'm sure. Under powered, easily broken, crappy suspension and steering that is either too limited or too weak depending on the length of your servo horn. Well, I picked up a clodbuster a little while back that had this sassy chassis in it and decided to build this truck. My goal was not to build a shiny shelf queen or era correct vintage monster. I wanted to make the clodbuster into what I thought it should have been back in the 80's. I have a bin full of clodbuster parts, so I started by picking out the best set of axles and wheels I had and started doing some measuring and fabricating. The shocks I went with were duratrax invader rears. They are soft, smooth, and affordable with different color and rate springs readily available. Threaded shock bodies are a nice bonus too. I designed my own suspension and made the links by running 8-32 threaded rod through carbon arrow shafts with traxxas Jato heavy duty rod ends. I mounted the bottom of the shocks to small steel brackets that bolt directly to the stock steel axle braces. I bought some carbon fiber axle mounts for the steering servos. I was running some 19t mod motors that I timed at zero to match the pair, which worked pretty good, but recently picked up a set of the famous trinity monster mash matched set with the vintage heatsinks installed on them. Right now I'm powering them with a Novak Rooster, which is a problem I will be addressing, since it can only handle the power for a few minutes. I'm using a 2s lipo for battery power. Still have some bugs to work out, but this truck gets run regularly now and has yet to break anything. It jumps and lands smoothly and controlled and will turn on a dime. I have some more mods planned for it in the near future. Hope you guys enjoy the pics
Attachments
DSC00210.JPG
DSC00210.JPG (145.5 KiB) Viewed 85 times
DSC00211.JPG
DSC00211.JPG (135.82 KiB) Viewed 85 times
DSC00212.JPG
DSC00212.JPG (143.66 KiB) Viewed 85 times
DSC00213.JPG
DSC00213.JPG (148.97 KiB) Viewed 85 times
DSC00214.JPG
DSC00214.JPG (165.02 KiB) Viewed 85 times

GRAVETXT-1
First real R/C car: Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin

Re: Basher67's Custom Clodbuster

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Great truck especially considering it is your first custom job 8) interesting how you have top and bottom 4 links join at the same position on the chassis not seen that before.
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

Basher67

Post by Basher67 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks. I'm not sure if mounting the links like this is considered "technically" right or wrong. I might experiment with other designs and geometries just for fun. These old sassy chassis give you alot of options when setting up a suspension. I can tell you that this setup seems to have no bad habits and articulation is extremely enhanced vs. the stock setup. Not to mention, it seems to be pretty durable, as I am not easy or careful about driving it. The only real problem I'm having right now is the speed control. I have other Novaks that can handle more power with ease but they don't have reverse and that's a deal breaker for me. I have another Rooster and had considered running separate speed controls for each motor to ease the power load. Not sure if that's possible or a realistic fix to the problem or not. The next upgrade will probably be some adjustable motor mounts so I can play with pinion gearing a little.

ratpower396
Approved
First real R/C car: marui big bear

Post by ratpower396 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:05 pm

looks good..

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:45 am

I think your suspension design is very sound. You didn't go for the classic 4-link the has all the links on the c-hubs which leads to easily broken axle tubes. I thought about picking on you for the "stock clods suck"... but my super-stocker is not exactly stock so I can't say too much. I'm surprised you put the battery in the rear though. As for esc, can't afford an (used) evx-2?... Don't have a castle esc kicking around? I usually see deals for these cheap when I look around.

Basher67

Post by Basher67 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:45 am

You nailed the design concept exactly. Most clods that come my way are broken there from all the stress put in the one spot on the c-hubs. By moving the upper links to the top of the axle, the suspension links have a greater leverage over axle twist and spread the load greatly, which in turn leads to less stress on all of those components. So far it's worked quite well. As far as the esc, money is not a problem, I just haven't researched what most guys are using or what could handle the power better. I figured I would look around the forum to see what the "tried and true" components were and maybe get some suggestions on the best way to go. I just looked up what an evx-2 is and that looks like exactly the kind of esc I'm looking for. I've used the XL-5's in my older runners with good success.

87lc2
Approved
First real R/C car: Team Associated RC10

Post by 87lc2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:51 am

Nice looking truck. For an ESC, I would recommend the Hobbywing 860:

http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=357&filter_attr=0

They run about $20-$25 on Amazon/Ebay and are rated for 12T on a 2S Lipo. They also come with a fan to keep temps down. I bought one earlier this year for one of my trucks and was so impressed with it that I bought 4-5 more and replaced all of my vintage Novak Super Duty XR & Super Rooster ESCs in my brushed motor trucks with them and haven't had a single issue. Figured I wouldnt mind burning up a $20 ESC and could keep all of my vintage stuff safe, but they've turned out to be very reliable.

Basher67

Post by Basher67 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:03 am

Nice. Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.