Please help support ClodTalk.com! Any contribution helps!! Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Gear box help

Talk about the Clodbuster and all other motor on axle trucks and crawlers.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Dnooch24
First real R/C car: My first R/C car was the Tamiya Lunchbox. Just got back into the hobby and bought a Midnight Pumpkin and a Clodbuster to fix up

Gear box help

Post by Dnooch24 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Hey all. Need a little help. I’m
Restoring a 1987 Clod and having a hard time w the rear gear box. Changed all the gears, put in ball bearings, greased and it’s just not happy. Still making a grinding sound and when I tighten down a certain screw that holds together the box the axels barely wanna spin.
The other gear box is smooth as silk n quiet. I’ve taken it apart and put it back together a dozen times thinking I made a mistake somewhere. I’m at my wits end! Anyone have a similar problem or can maybe point me in the right direction.
I have gone over the directions and watched videos for 2 weeks. Thought maybe a bearing was bad but I even checked them all. When I spin the axels, sometimes has a skipping feel or like it’s missing.

Halgar
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Tamiya Clodbuster

Re: Gear box help

Post by Halgar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Obviously, something is binding. Did you just replace the gears and bearings or did you also replace the housing? It's possible that a piece of flashing is somewhere it shouldn't be.

Check the box halves against the front, that they're clean and have no residual parts tree flashing or other debris in somewhere it doesn't belong.

Set all your bearings together, make sure they're all the same width and size. If bushings were replaced, did the old one get removed first?

You say all is fine until you tighten a particular screw, is this the right screw? Is the length of the screw possibly the culprit? The parts are binding somewhere, and it's probably in close proximity to this screw.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Dnooch24
First real R/C car: My first R/C car was the Tamiya Lunchbox. Just got back into the hobby and bought a Midnight Pumpkin and a Clodbuster to fix up

Re: Gear box help

Post by Dnooch24 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:31 pm

So after following a lot of suggestions I think I figured out what was wrong. One of the clip washers were bent up and the bearings I bought are thicker then the old plastic ones making clearance issues in the box. I haven’t had time to fully straighten out everything yet, just the clip washer n that alone made a difference. Thanks for the help.