Please help support ClodTalk.com! Any contribution helps!! Donate towards my web hosting bill!

link vs axle mounted shocks

Talk about the Clodbuster and all other motor on axle trucks and crawlers.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Saito
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunch Box

link vs axle mounted shocks

Post by Saito » Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 am

In my quest to bring myself up to date, can someone explain the pros and cons of axle mounted vs lower link mounted shocks? It seems like most race Clods run link mounted shocks, but they also tend to "bobble" back and forth with throttle and braking. Any insight is appreciated.

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Re: link vs axle mounted shocks

Post by andymac0035 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:54 am

They "bobble" because of the set-ups used to make their trucks handle the track conditions.

My opinion is that axle-mounted is less strain on the links.

Saito
First real R/C car: Tamiya Lunch Box

Post by Saito » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:04 am

Thanks for the reply. I can see a axle mount being more durable. Is there a handling advantage to link mount? I notice even shaftys like the SMT10 use link mounts. I'm debating on which to use for my CR01 conversion at the moment as well as my next Clod build. All my current trucks (both shafty and MOA) use axle mount or cantilever shocks.

andymac0035
Site Admin
First real R/C car: grasshopper

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:53 am

Saito wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:04 am
Is there a handling advantage to link mount?
I think it's just easier to tune and set up. ... I think.... LOL

TweakedTad
Approved

Post by TweakedTad » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:57 am

It is a little easier to setup on the links vs the axles. If you are racing you will benefit from link mounted shocks greatly. If you are just bashing it won't make much difference.

It is hard to get the shocks light enough to work mounted to the axles on a clod. The chassis has very little weight to make them work properly.

Halgar
Site Admin
First real R/C car: Tamiya Clodbuster

Post by Halgar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 pm

The difference is leverage, when mounted on the axle, it takes the weight of the truck to compress the shock. When mounted on the link, the link acts as a fulcrum, adding additional leverage to actuate the shock, hence offering a "softer" suspension. As mentioned, race trucks are light, so the added mechanical leverage on the shock makes the truck easier to tune to the track. As a basher, you're not going to see much benefit, unless you're looking for big articulation on rough terrain.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.