No, It doesn't want to e a stock Clod

Support forum for CPE.
http://www.teamcpe.com/

Moderator: cpe mt

hardedge
Approved Member

No, It doesn't want to e a stock Clod

Post by hardedge » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:20 am

I bought a tired, old stock Clod on eBay and would like to bring up to at least the beginning of the 21st Century.

Here's what I'm thinking as a baseline:

CPE-4LCLOD to replace the ugly parts of the clodware.
CPE-LOC2 to lock the rear wheels.
CPE-VERTSTR to move the steering servo to a more logical location once I lock the rear wheels.

But that last part is puzzling. According to the item description, the linkage to the steering arm isn't included. I'd need CPER-STR3s to get from my servo horn to that arm, right? There are also no end links from that rod to either the servo horn or the steering arm and while that's mentioned in the description, I didn't see a part number for them. It also looks like I'd need a longer steering rod and links, similar to what's included with CPE-LOC2 to complete the arrangement. Does that have a part number?

Since I'm already boring you to tears, I should probably add that VPE-4LCOD shows only 1 shock per corner --which I have no problem with that whatsoever. Do they mount in the standard Clod shock location and is there a recommended shock length or can the stock shocks work?

Sorry to take up so much of your time. Thanks!
The last man standing has often cheated...

cpe mt
Approved Member

Re: No, It doesn't want to e a stock Clod

Post by cpe mt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:25 pm

You'd want P/N CPE-STR3 for the complete front steering link kit to go with the vertical servo mount. As far as shocks, there are no more stock mounting points when you use the 4-link kit. Typically P/N CPE-SHK1 is used if you want single shocks, and P/N CPE-DUALSHK is used if you want to mount dual shocks. You CAN use the stock shocks, but people typically switch over to oil-filled ones at the same time since they perform much better. Thanks!
Brett Crawford - Owner
Crawford Performance Engineering
http://www.teamcpe.com

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:13 pm

And the end links for CPER-STR3s?

What I'm seeing are two aluminum rods --both with end links. The short upper rod, you say, is CPER-STR3s:
with no end links. Then there's the longer lower rod at the bottom. Does that have a part number or is it a component of CPE-STR1

Thanks.
Last edited by hardedge on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:26 pm

If you purchase the CPE-STR3 kit, you don't need CPER-STR3s as all the link and rod ends are included with the kit itself.
Brett Crawford - Owner

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:03 pm

CPE-4LCLOD: Stock Clodbuster 4-Link Conversion Kit
CPE-SHK1: Lower Shock Mounting Kit
CPE-STR3: Clodbuster Aluminum Steering Links
CPE-VERTSTR: Clodbuster Vertical Servo Mount

Just sent payment. Thanks!

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:14 am

Thanks for your order! It's packed and will ship tomorrow.
Brett Crawford - Owner

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:48 am

All the stuff I ordered showed up this afternoon.

My only disappointment is that there's not a diagram or illustration or nothin' included to show me where and how this stuff attaches.

You really should have something showing how part A connects to part B --even if it's just a single set of instructions for each kit that can be referenced from your website. Befuddled people tend to spend less or at least take longer to place the next order.

But thanks for the quick delivery. I'm going to sleep with the parts under my pillow tonight to see if I can get a head start. :lol:

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:13 am

There are pictures on the website showing each of these parts installed. If you need additional information after looking at those, let us know and we can help you get these installed. Thanks!
Brett Crawford - Owner

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:49 am

You may come to regret that offer... Let's begin. The screws/nuts needed to attach CPE-4LCLOD to the under and side portions of the chassis aren't included.

I have an ACE hardware store a scant half mile away so I have access to stuff --but I need to know the sizes. (I tend to get odd looks if I just walk in and tell an associate, "I need a screw.") Wanna divulge?

Then there are the holes in the wheel mounts. (D1/D2 or E1?) The picture is awful.

Need to know what size holes to drill, what size screws are needed, and where and on what part of the mount. Thanx!

-O'B.

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Welcome to the world of custom Clods...LOL. We need to flag this post. At the pace you are going, you'll be spouting off answers to questions here in no time.
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm sincerely sorry to be a PIA but if I'm customizing my Clod (e.g., like my 6wd/6ws Big Tow) I will work out the details of what I need to do, gather the items that are required, and then do it. When I buy a "kit" --in this case with a strong resemblance to 8 I Ching sticks with rod ends-- I want at least the info about what parts I need to complete the installation, if not actually the parts themselves that are necessary to do it. (I missed the comical washer requirement. Blame it on my lingering Macular edema, my fault, but I just ordered 50 of them.)

I can make certain assumptions --like the screws are all 3mm as are the needed flange nuts for the side chassis installation but how long are they? Someone has built this "kit" and must know that info. Why not share? Heck, 32 years a technology writer I'd be happy to write up the installation process, put it in PDF format, and give it to CPE gratis to tack on its website but I need the info.

The quality of the parts are excellent. None of that 3D printed crap. Everything, including the drilling, should take about an hour and a half to complete. Still, it's become a classic case of that old saw, "I'm retired. I wake up every morning with nothing to do and by the time I go to sleep at night I've finished half of it." :-)

KONG
Approved Member

Post by KONG » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:54 pm

hardedge wrote:"I need a screw."
Check out viewforum.php?f=64

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:31 pm

No help....

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:45 pm

If I remember right.... CPE does not use metric hardware.
Pretty sure all the hardware for what your doing is 4/40 if gotten from CPE.

I tend to use 3mm screws, usually spares from the clodbuster kit, when ever possible.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:51 pm

Will 4/40 screws fit the holes in the clod and/or thread into the bottom and side metal bracing of the chassis? I ordered A - D srew bags (and an extra B) while I wait for CPE to answer.