Piezo Igniters

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
Halgar
Administrator

Piezo Igniters

Post by Halgar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:09 am

Anybody know anything about Piezo igniters? The igniter on my BBQ has quit working and it's a bit of a pain to find a fire stick and get it down into the grill to light it when needed. I replaced the battery and that didn't help at all. My suspicion is that the switch contacts are worn and the grounds are corroded.

Any ideas?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Piezo Igniters

Post by SFC K » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 am

Does it make the clicking sound and if so can you hear it trying to ignite?

I found this that might help...

https://help.weber.com/faqs/6/my-grill- ... the-reason
Jeff

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:56 am

Nope, nada on the clicking.

It started as one or two of the burners working better than the others, but to be clear, it's one piezo system, so when lighting one burner ALL piezos click at the same time.

I have not had a chance to pull out the manual or do any research, just thought I'd throw it out here first, see if anyone had ideas. I'll check your link.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 am

Piezo igniters do not require power to run. You have electronic ignition. You can bridge the switch, that will tell if it is the switch or the ignition pack.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:58 am

Finally had time today (Sunday) to dig into the problem. As I suspected, it was corrosion. Sixtys Guy is right, it's electronic ignition, not Piezo. The issue is that the sweeper tongs had oxidation on them so that they were not making good contact with the ground to complete the circuit and make the igniters fire. A little fine sand paper to clean up the tongs, a few swipes on the contact as well, then an ever so light coating of dielectric grease to thwart of future corrosion and the igniters are back in working order.

It took longer to take the front of the grill apart and put it back together than it did to fix the problem.

darat76
Approved Member

Post by darat76 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:02 am

Halgar wrote:It took longer to take the front of the grill apart and put it back together than it did to fix the problem.
Isn't that the standard normal for all things? even our RC's?

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 am

darat76 wrote:
Halgar wrote:It took longer to take the front of the grill apart and put it back together than it did to fix the problem.
Isn't that the standard normal for all things? even our RC's?

That is the case 90% of the time. :lol:
Jeff

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:36 pm

True, it's fairly normal for most things. At least it was an easy fix, now if I could only get the side burner to work, I don't hold much hope for that, as it's never worked, even when the thing was brandy spanking new. Although, in taking the front off the other day I noticed that the gas delivery tube doesn't really stick into the burner tube very far, like the tip is right there at the opening, not the normal 1/2" or more inside, so I suspect that is likely the problem. Maybe I'll throw some duct tape on there and test the theory, 'cause, you know, duct tape fixes everything! :wink: :mrgreen: