An unlikely new car adventure

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
andymac0035
Administrator

An unlikely new car adventure

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:49 pm

So....

I have had several cars and trucks come and go over the last 10 years.
A Dodge ram... a Ford Crown Victoria.... a Ford Ranger.... all of which I liked, but got sold off, usually because we needed $$$.... and keeping 2 cars costs more.

All the while.... the stalwart of the driveway has been the 2005 Dodge Neon I bought for the wife in 2006.

We have shared this car off and on between the other's coming and going, and with her health issue's she has all but given up driving. So when the Ranger got sold, we shared, but basically I've been driving the Neon for the past few years.

It finally started showing it's age a few years ago, and we had 2 different times where we invested significant money into repairs. We'd hoped it would pay off, as the car seemed solid, ran well, and was well maintained. Unfortunately it developed a compression leak (a really small one), and I just could not nurse it along and keep it dependable any longer.

So I needed to go car shopping.... in December.... :shock:
I had done my research over the Summer though (was hoping to wait till next spring).
I settled on the Nissan Versa S sedan, and saw one listed with the options I wanted on the local dealers website.
However, the car was in-transit..... it wasn't even there yet, but after driving other versa's, I knew it was what I wanted.
(they were automatics and I wanted a manual)

So I did something I have NEVER done before. I took a leap of faith and signed papers on a car that I'd not seen or driven yet. :shock:
It paid off though, and I now have the car I wanted. :)

My timing was as good as ever, the day I took off from work to take delivery..... we got our first snow-storm of the season.... ](*,)
DSCN2205.JPG
DSCN2210.JPG
DSCN2209.JPG

2016 Nissan Versa S sedan
"S" = plain-jane. crank windows ect... but I like that!
More importantly, it was also the only way to get the 5-speed.
I love shifting and have missed it (the Neon was an automatic)
DSCN2211.JPG
DSCN2212.JPG

The Neon and it's successor:
DSCN2206.JPG
DSCN2215.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Halgar
Administrator

Re: An unlikely new car adventure

Post by Halgar » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:56 pm

In all that white stuff, you'd be better off driving the green one in the background. :wink: :mrgreen:

Nothing like getting a NEW car and never having to worry about repairs, breakdowns, and all the other nonsense that tends to plague used vehicles. Even though I've always had good luck with the used vehicles I've bought over the years, nothing can top the brand spanking new GMC I bought in '95. I sold that truck when I bought an '02 and still miss it to this day.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:09 pm

I've had a few of those as well Halgar (one's I wish I'd kept).
They all wear out though, so unless you have the means to do lots of resto-work, it sadly becomes impractical.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:45 am

Sadly, with all the freaking electronics they're stuffing into vehicles these days, they're failing quicker and far more expensive to repair when things start going wrong.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:57 am

...and yet, that's not what failed on the Neon... go figure.... #-o

Justinswraps
Business Member

Post by Justinswraps » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:38 am

Nice Andy! So when's the twin turbos and power slide pictures and videos going to be posted? :rofl:
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:07 am

Halgar wrote:Sadly, with all the freaking electronics they're stuffing into vehicles these days, they're failing quicker and far more expensive to repair when things start going wrong.
no kidding...

on modern bmw's you cant even change the battery yourself anymore...when the battery goes kaput- you need to replace it, and the dealer has to program the computer to say a new battery is in there, since the car changes the charging algorithm to compensate for the deteriorating condition of an older battery...if you dont, then the electronics all get messed up...

on my honda ridgeline, the battery was dying- not even competely dead, as it would still hold a charge for a few days (and start just fine also)- the idle and throttle curves were all weird...i had this unusual surging when i'd let off the gas...checked almost everything, and couldnt figure it out...was ready to take it to the dealer when i said i'll just try a newer battery, then it improved...then found out i needed to do some weired voodoo called the idle learning procedure to reprogram it (a series of letting the car idle until the fan turns on, then off, then on a second time, then i needed to take it to an open road and get the rpms up to 2500 and suddenly let off the throttle until it dropped to 10mph, and repeat this 3 times, then let it idle for another 20 minutes, or something like that)...it's so bizarre...

you figure with all these modern electronics, the car just wouldnt be like, "hey, the voltage is up, and i start easier...owner must have put in a new battery..let me change my own algorithms"...but then i guess manufacturers need to take care of their dealer networks...

ps- congrats on the new car andy

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:03 pm

NISSAN = SOLID = SMART BUY :thumbsup:

On many BMW's now there is no dipstick to check the oil level you have to rely on an electronic readout on the dashboard. Major fail #-o
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:57 pm

All I could think of when I read the BMW comments.... :mrgreen:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:01 pm

The only electrical thing that would go on the Neon (usually) was the camshaft position sensor. About every year or so it would eat one. Turns out MoPar went to stronger magnets on the end on the cam, which was hard on the sensor. At least it was something I could change myself, but it had a nasty habit of going out in the middle of winter.....

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:12 pm

GRAVETXT-1 wrote:NISSAN = SOLID = SMART BUY :thumbsup:
Glad to hear Nissan is well liked. I've always had Fords or Dodges. I looked into them all this time around. I just could not get interested in the offerings from kia/hundai/toyota/honda... was never a GM guy.... and the current mopar small car is based on an alfa romeo... which has questionable build quality. I considered the Fiesta heavily, but the Nissan was so much more comfortable to sit in, that it really won me over.

The Nissan was also such a basic car in all the right ways. I didn't want a screen in the dash (something that was mandatory on most all cars, including the fiesta). I also didn't want a full console. The kicker in all of this?.....

Would you believe that the Versa S does NOT used chipped keys? :shock: =D>
That's right, there are still cars made where you can just go to the hardware store and get additional keys cut, imagine that....

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:54 pm

Looks great Andy. Hope you get a couple hundred thousand miles out of it at least.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Looking back I see the roll-up windows. Nice and simple. I bet kids nowadays barely know why we use the expression "roll up the window".

WildHorses
Approved Member

Post by WildHorses » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:42 pm

1Badclod85 wrote:Nice Andy! So when's the twin turbos and power slide pictures and videos going to be posted? :rofl:

Never gonna happen unless ur gonna buy us our next :new: car [-X :nana: :D
I obey the speed limit....my speed limit...... :mrgreen:

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:56 am

WildHorses wrote:Never gonna happen unless ur gonna buy us our next :new: car [-X :nana: :D

And THAT, folks, would be Andy's voice of reason! :lol: :rofl:

Hey, Ms. WildHorses, long time no see, good to have you back. 8)