Random question for my clodtalk buddies

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
GRAVETXT-1

Random question for my clodtalk buddies

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:29 am

Random question is 1.7 MB/s a slow or fast download speed?

Have just bought myself a new router and I notice it consistently gets 1.7 MB/s download speed.
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Re: Random question for my clodtalk buddies

Post by mrgrimm » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:09 am

I don't know a lot about computers, but I found this (not sure if it's accurate or not!)

http://www.geeksquad.com/do-it-yourself ... speed.aspx

I scored 22.96 mbps download speed and 2.21 mbps upload speed.
Monster trucks rule :)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Depends on what kind of connection you have, dial-up, cable, data line? Also depends on what kind of computer you're running and the security levels you use, you'll be faster running down the street nekid than you will be in full arctic regalia and scuba fins.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:43 am

I got 2.57mbps download and 0.43mbps upload.

We are only on ADSL. NBN (whiich is apparently ridiculously fast) just became available, but my wife wants to wait our contract out for another year so we change providers.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:27 am

MrGrimm the test you linked to is similar to speedtest.net. My connection tested at 37mbps down and 6 mbps up.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Am happy with 1.7 MB/s as my old router barely managed 600 MB/s so my download speed has trebled goes to show how technology moves on my old router dated back to 2006 lol.

I downloaded a new game off steam (4gb) and it took twenty two minutes which beforehand would have taken four hours or more :P
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:12 am

Upgrade to a new router. It will do wonders for you. Buy something that will support AC wireless.

Some of the speeds posted here are respectable, but not what they should be in this day and age.

I say that meaning, You get what you pay for.

I am able to constantly run 38 to 40 megs down and upload an average of 6-10. Many times the low end of that.

My monthly bill is stupid, but you get what you pay for... right.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Woah 38 to 40! :thumbsup: you get what you pay for no truer saying in life dave!
Alex

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Just out of interests sake, how much are people paying? Ours is $70Aud ($50Usd) per month for a 100gb limit.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:03 pm

Sixtys Guy wrote:Just out of interests sake, how much are people paying? Ours is $70Aud ($50Usd) per month for a 100gb limit.
We've got a package deal through our cable provider for internet, tv, and landline phone, started off around $100 a month, now it's nearly double, mostly due to the provider hiking prices because they can, not because of extra services.

Although, now that I think about it, Special K was over last weekend and I got one heck of a pervy pay per view bill! #-o :shock:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:00 am

Halgar wrote:
Sixtys Guy wrote:Just out of interests sake, how much are people paying? Ours is $70Aud ($50Usd) per month for a 100gb limit.
We've got a package deal through our cable provider for internet, tv, and landline phone, started off around $100 a month, now it's nearly double, mostly due to the provider hiking prices because they can, not because of extra services.

Although, now that I think about it, Special K was over last weekend and I got one heck of a pervy pay per view bill! #-o :shock:
Must of been the other Special K. Been at least two months since I last visited your state. :butthead: :mrgreen:

I checked mine and it was 11.08 download and .82 upload... :shock: WTH, we pay big cash too for our service. Not happy seeing some of the others ratings. I should add that I had it plugged into the either net cable when I ran the test. Our Router is probably due for an exchange. At least 10 times per week we have to unplug it because it looses internet connection. We have Quest/Century link here and like I said, it has been really doggy. :evil:
Jeff

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:23 am

Our bill for net and phone a month is $75usd. Not the best but for the speeds I get I'm not too upset. My speeds are from an ASUS RT-AC66u router. The router alone was $200 but again I am on the pc almost as much as I am driving rc so the investment was necessary. Still using the modem supplied by our provider. Plan to swap that soon (save $5 a month) in favor of a Motorola Surfboard modem. Probably won't see much of a speed benefit but the reliability will go up. These manufacturers nowadays try to pack way too much stuff into a single box. Mine supposedly does modem, router, and phone duties. The router portion would crash every 3 minutes under heavy use. The modem has to be reset usually on a bi-weekly basis.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:36 am

I should say that the above price is for internet and phone.

NBN is the same price for 25mbps. That is the max we can have as we would be on satellite. For fibre connection the max is 100mbps. These are max, so I'm not sure it would be that fast in reality.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Everyone try this.

http://www.speedtest.net/

I am with Halgar on the cost per month, way to much.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:50 pm

I have had the same provider since 2005 never changed the contract I get billed three times a year so once every four months I pay 50 pounds (76.57 dollars). So 150 pounds a year :mrgreen:
Alex