Scale Plastic Models

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Scale Plastic Models

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:02 am

Wow! Nice haul!

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:15 am

Yeah I got lucky.... probably be a couple years at least until they are done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still have five of the six I originally bought to build yet! :shock:
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:49 pm

TomT wrote:Yeah I got lucky.... probably be a couple years at least until they are done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you seen my collection? Man I have enough models for the both of us. I'm feeling the itch again....
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:52 pm

SFC K wrote:
TomT wrote:Yeah I got lucky.... probably be a couple years at least until they are done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you seen my collection? Man I have enough models for the both of us. I'm feeling the itch again....

Yeah, you have what, a couple hundred!?

LOL, it just amazes me that when I was a kid I'd sit down in one afternoon and have a model built and it looked decent.... now it takes forever!
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:13 pm

TomT wrote:
SFC K wrote:

Yeah, you have what, a couple hundred!?

LOL, it just amazes me that when I was a kid I'd sit down in one afternoon and have a model built and it looked decent.... now it takes forever!
LOL, Yeah about 500 is all or close to it.

I think the reason it takes longer now is we are trying to make them too perfect. :wink:
Jeff

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:16 am

Tom, you have a sweet collection there! You need to build a WWII diorama for all that stuff. You know, back in the war our Sherman tank was nothing compared to the German counterpart. One direct hit would render the Sherman helpless, so we needed to surround a German tank with multiple Shermans in order to defeat one.
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:35 pm

TamiyaTony wrote:Tom, you have a sweet collection there! You need to build a WWII diorama for all that stuff. You know, back in the war our Sherman tank was nothing compared to the German counterpart. One direct hit would render the Sherman helpless, so we needed to surround a German tank with multiple Shermans in order to defeat one.

I wish I could build diorama's, maybe someday, start with a nice big train set LOL.

All,
What paints are people using out there? I have been buying the Tamiya suggested paints but even here it is kind of spendy, saw some Mr. Hobby paints in one of the dept. stores and it seems to me that is what people are using on their GunDam models. Anyone have experience with Mr. Hobby paints?, they are a little cheaper in price.
TomT

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Only ones I've ever been exposed to are the Testors. There are forums online about this subject which talk about Enamel vs Acrylic vs Water Based vs Acryl and such. I just get what's local and cheap. :D
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:24 am

Not happy with black paint!
Tires / Wheels / Brakes came out good.
I keep this one around as a what not to do, LOL!

I have an RX-7 to do, I do not think I'm going to follow the recommended paint scheme.
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:14 am

Looks good! At first I thought the hood was painted, but it is clear. Did you deliberately focus on the just the nose of the subject? Lets see the rest. :wink: The wheels and tires look like the real thing. Nice detailing underneath too!
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:46 am

The clear hood is kind of cool.
DOH!
I did not want to show the rest, LOL

The black paint actually went on fine but when I clear coated it, it acted like a chemical reaction and smelled like burn plastic! :shock: SO what did I do? Sprayed it more, LOL. Came out really awful!

The interior was suppose to be grey with light grey inserts, very boring (just like the real thing) so I used XF-7 red for the inserts.... I don't know what the heck is up with that color but it does not cover well at all! Perhaps it is extremely old? I stirred it with a toothpick and shook it up forever but no dice, even trying a second coat it did not cover well. :shock:

This is the first 1/24 civilian car I have built in a long time, it did not go well but I learned some things that work and more things that did not. I hope my next one is better!
TomT

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:18 am

M151A2 (With Willy's)...
Macro mode on the camera really brings out the discrepancies... :( I need to focus on seam lines, fit and finish.
Not sure if the scale is off or what but the Willy's seems way smaller than the Ford... guess I'd have to compare real life measurements to confirm....

TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

I missed this Tom! I like the detailing on the tires and wheels. I think the size is close. The detailing on the Wily's kit seems more pronounced to me. In real life the Wily's were small anyways...Is that the Academy or Tamiya kit?
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Well here is the dimensions for the Ford:

Wheelbase 85 inch / 216 cm
Length 133 inch / 338 cm
Width 64 inch / 163 cm

M38:

Length 131 inches (333 cm)
Width 62 inches (157.5 cm)
Height 72 inches (183 cm) with top up
reducible to 52 inches (132 cm)
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:21 pm

SFC K wrote:I missed this Tom! I like the detailing on the tires and wheels. I think the size is close. The detailing on the Wily's kit seems more pronounced to me. In real life the Wily's were small anyways...Is that the Academy or Tamiya kit?

They are all Tamiya kits. The Willy's is an old discontinued? kit that has a detailed engine where as the Ford does not. I've heard that most Tamiya vehicle models do not come with engines anymore, I can attest to that as my old Skyline has a really detailed engine but the newer RX-7 model does not have any engine! I enjoyed building the Willy's more than the Ford. Would be fun to build one to a civilian look.

LOL, yeah the wheels came out with somewhat of a weathered look and no, it really was not by design but by chance! I can see where I need to learn weathering because I'm not liking the brand new look! Good thing is I see a lot of weather is done when the models are pretty much assembled so at any time I can go back and give it a go!

I guess the Willy's is smaller after all, thanks for the specs!
TomT