Scale Plastic Models

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
TomT
Approved Member

Re: Scale Plastic Models

Post by TomT » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:38 am

SFC K wrote: It's all about patience. :wink: Wait until you start building one of those cars. Then the fun begins!
Hey SFC K or anyone else for that matter,

You ever use modelling puddy? I've read about it but never seen or used it. Just curious as to how it is to work with.

TomT
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:16 am

TomT wrote:
SFC K wrote:Awesome looking M5A1! I was a little reluctant to weather mine when I built the M60A1 tank. The end result is a better and more realistic model. You won't be disappointed if you do.
Yeah I just have to learn how to do it :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll let it collect dust for a couple of years.... how's that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

TomT
Yeah, that's how I weather mine as well, only I bash the heck out of them too, which helps speed the process along. :mrgreen: My problem with weathering is much like not wanting to scratch or get your new 1:1 car dirty. It will happen in all due time, you just don't want to be in any hurry about it. A new model or RC is the same thing, I'm proud of it and want that "showroom new" look. I can't bear to have it any other way until that first scratch, then it's game on! :twisted: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

TomT wrote:You ever use modelling puddy? I've read about it but never seen or used it. Just curious as to how it is to work with.

TomT
I've had it and played with it slightly, but not much and it was a lifetime ago. My recollection is that it goes on reasonably well and is thick enough to be fairly shapeable while it's wet. Once cured it sands about the same as plastic, meaning you can do it, but it's going to clog the sand paper fairly quickly. Now, keep in mind this was somewhere in the vicinity of 30 years ago ... :shock:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah, What Halgar said.

I use the Squadron Green putty or White putty depending on the color of the surface you are working with. It's fast drying (in 30 Minutes you can't start working with it) and sands really smooth. I use it for filling sink holes and blending in body panels.

I have a project that I have been working on for a while now ('39 Wagon Rod). It had wood grain panles down the side that I filled in. I also removed the front light buckets and molded in some Plymouth Prowler light buckets in a different location. I should post up some prgress shots of it. It will look sweet if I ever finsih it.
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:08 pm

So here is what I was working with before and after....

Jeff

TamiyaTony
Approved Member

Post by TamiyaTony » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:21 pm

Awesome job of smoothing it out. Nice and shorn. :lol:
My son... ask for thyself another kingdom... for that which I leave is too small for thee.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:34 pm

TamiyaTony wrote:Awesome job of smoothing it out. Nice and shorn. :lol:

:lol: Those old light buckets were a pain in the bottom to remove. Lot's of sanding and putty were used. I think the new buckets look better and flow with the body lines.
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:03 pm

:shock: WOW, Very nice... gues I need to keep working in that patience thing :lol:
8) 8) 8)

TomT
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:34 am

TomT wrote::shock: WOW, Very nice... gues I need to keep working in that patience thing :lol:
8) 8) 8)

TomT
Thanks Tom! I think you just motivated me to start working on it again... :wink:
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:28 am

Trying to figure out what color I should paint the Skyline... not sure I'll go with factory colors or not. I like black but seems to me on models it does not stand out enough.
Not going to put the spoiler on the back so I'll have to fill those holes in.

Need to get some puddy, primer and whatever color paint I'm going to use.

Edit: OK, OK, I'm going to paint it black :!: :!: :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm

TomT wrote:Trying to figure out what color I should paint the Skyline... not sure I'll go with factory colors or not. I like black but seems to me on models it does not stand out enough.
Not going to put the spoiler on the back so I'll have to fill those holes in.

Need to get some puddy, primer and whatever color paint I'm going to use.

Edit: OK, OK, I'm going to paint it black :!: :!: :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Black?!? I would go silver. :wink: Any updates?
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm

SFC K wrote:
Black?!? I would go silver. :wink: Any updates?

I shelved it for a while. I painted it Black and then a clear coat..... well It does not look good at all, I think the two paints did not like each other! I'll pull it back out sometime and strip it down and re-do.

This kit has really good engine detailing but I'm pretty disappointed to have put all the work in the engine only to find out you can only really see the top of it when installed :!: The drive-train detailing is also nice but everything is painted black so details really don't stick out (following the suggested colors). Should have went custom on it.
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:17 am

That is too bad it did not turn out. I get paint fright some times when I'm building a kit. I do the chassis all nice and than botch the body up. Nothing worse. I noticed that most of the Tamiya's kits tend to hide the chassis details. There Body details are the best in the buisness though.
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:43 am

SFC K wrote:That is too bad it did not turn out. I get paint fright some times when I'm building a kit. I do the chassis all nice and than botch the body up. Nothing worse. I noticed that most of the Tamiya's kits tend to hide the chassis details. There Body details are the best in the buisness though.

I really thought I would enjoy doing the 1/24 cars but I'm not feeling it. I did a lot of aircraft and cars when I was a kid and it was fun. I have to say I like the 1/35 military stuff a lot better now.

With winter here I'm sure it will not be long and I'll be back at it again.
TomT

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:31 am

SCORE!

20% off at a department store!!!
After doing yen to dollar conversion I got all of these for $105.54, not too shabby.
If bought from Tower $141.01 without shipping!
The prices without the 20% off was still cheaper than Amazon.co.jp!

\:D/

I've noticed these kits come with the ability to put batteries, switches, and motors in them :shock:

I'm going to have to build a display case....
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:08 am

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: You are lucky!
Jeff