Scale Plastic Models

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
TomT
Approved Member

Scale Plastic Models

Post by TomT » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 am

Well with fall rolling in and winter to soon follow I've decided to give scale modeling a go. Basically going to stick with the 1/35 Tamiya Military Miniatures series. I did a 1/35 Japanese tank once and it turned out pretty good but it got dropped on the floor, and instead of fixing what was broke, I stomped on it. :roll: Starting out cheap with a U.S. M151A2 Ford Mutt with M416 Cargo Trailer, model number 35130. These things are small. Will try to post build progress and pics.

TomT

P.S. going to try and check this out : http://www.aomori-museum.jp/en/exhibition/19/ this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."

Blackfoot
Approved Member

Re: Scale Plastic Models

Post by Blackfoot » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Modeling is a great hobby. I was hardcore into it for years. Buffalo, NY has a large contest/show in April called Buffcon. I used to hit it every year and even took home some trophys and ribbons in my day. I started in automotive and then got into the armor and then back into automotive. My 2 sons have also built and learned some skills and each have taken many 1st 2nd and 3rd place winnings at the Buffcon shows youth group classes. I have well over 200 kits built up and close to 1/2 that still sealed waiting for me to get the urge to get back into it. RC's bit me hard 3 years ago again, so modeling has ben put on the back burner for awhile.

I have 2 of the same kit that you have pictured and will be interested in watching the process you do. Please atleast keep me updated.

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:39 pm

i do alittle model building. at the moment i have 2 on the go. one is a 71 mach1 mustang that i am doing up as my fathers car. and the other is another replica of one of the cars he had when i was a kid. a 1956 meteor lowrider. too bad no one makes a 1956 meteor model and i am having to make all the croam my self on a heavily modified 56 ford crown vic. i used to do armour but ended up turning the one tank into a monster tank. =P oh well, now i build the big models that run and drive when done.

keep us posted on the work on the jeep man. looks like it's gonna be a real good build
R.I.P Braden Mare. you where a true friend and will be missed.

Rides:
JunkYard Nautilus....in dry dock for repairs
clodbuster (bigfoot 8 ) (upgraded to 12v lead acid sealed battery)
HPI RS4 MT (dead, brushless killed it)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:49 pm

I built many as a kid and young teen, then I discovered girls. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding, girls should never come between boys and their toys! :P I enjoyed building the models, but always sucked at painting. What I disliked the most was doing graphics on the passenger side because it always seemed "backwards" to me. I'm also not artistic enough to be able to reproduce anything, so my free-hand work never quite matched from side to side.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Halgar, I'm with you on the painting thing. I've found though that extreme patience is needed and things come out acceptable to me :lol: :lol: :lol: I would really like to get an air brush but not sure I have anywhere near the skills needed to operate one.

TomT
TomT

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:32 pm

air brushing is easy, single colors or multiple, it's when you start throwing in the fancy art it can get a tiny bit tricky

Rides:

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:44 pm

Actually if anyone's got some tips, tricks or web links for painting / weathering (or building for that matter) please post :)

I'm buying the suggested Tamiya paints, wow a small model takes a lot! Good thing is I wont have to keep buying for future models unless I use it all.

TomT
TomT

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:23 am

I bought an airbrush shortly after purchasing my first truck. Unfortunately, I've never had it out of the box, which is a shame because it's an Iwata, one of the higher end guns. I never seem to have the time to pull it out and play with it. I even bought a bigger air compressor to run it off of so that tank pressure surges wouldn't affect the operation of the gun.

As for tips and tricks on weathering, have a look at this thread
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11484&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Grahame got into the weathering of PeeWee and told a little on how to do it. For more in depth info, search on military modeling sites, or scale modeling in general. Train layout builders use a lot of weathering techniques which will apply to all types of modeling.

While I understand and appreciate the weathered look, I really like that "new car smell", if you know what I mean. Any weathering on my rides comes from the actual weather and beating it gets on the trail. :lol:

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:37 am

lookie what i found, picts of the 56 ford i'm building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rides:

fig865
Approved Member

Post by fig865 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:45 pm

I like. Every once in a while I get on a model kick. I mainly build scale replicas of the local short track race cars, current and old. I like finding pictures of them from the 60s-80s and building those.

charliechristmas58
Approved Member

Post by charliechristmas58 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:27 pm

I did my first one when i was 8. i think it was copout. when it was all said and done i built around 300 of them. when we moved my wife put them out for the trash man to pick up. i didnt know she did this untill we got to austin. and was unloading the truck. i was so mad. and it was an 3 hour trip back. she didnt want them in the house anymore is what she told me. i was mad for about 2 weeks.30 years of building them went right down the drain. :( but now she is the xwife.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj » Thu May 28, 2009 7:18 am

charliechristmas58 wrote:I did my first one when i was 8. i think it was copout. when it was all said and done i built around 300 of them. when we moved my wife put them out for the trash man to pick up. i didnt know she did this untill we got to austin. and was unloading the truck. i was so mad. and it was an 3 hour trip back. she didnt want them in the house anymore is what she told me. i was mad for about 2 weeks.30 years of building them went right down the drain. :( but now she is the xwife.
thats a very sad story...when i was a kid i would buy models more often..i buy cars, make them hot rods and the trucks id turn into woods trucks and make my own lifts for them...these days this is the kind of models that i think are cool. [youtube]mGWpblgrmfE[/youtube] i have a international scout that im working on .i have trail dents and body rot done i just would like to rust and age as good as this guy

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice » Thu May 28, 2009 1:20 pm

That youtube vid is pretty impressive. I could never do that.
I would make her my xwife also charlie. That's a lot of b.s.
SFC K is my hero!
All bow down before the great terminator-smilie!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu May 28, 2009 3:47 pm

That's a very impressive ved! :shock: It's tough to melt and bend plastic to look like crumpled metal! Very nice work in deed, if you like junk yards. :wink:

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Thu May 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Halgar wrote:That's a very impressive ved! :shock: It's tough to melt and bend plastic to look like crumpled metal! Very nice work in deed, if you like junk yards. :wink:

I thought the crunched fiberglass look on the vette's was pretty impressive!

TomT
TomT