my rat rod build.

A place for all your non-R/C related discussions. Talk about whatever you like, but ALL posting rules still apply here!
the clodtalk rules
hated1racing
Approved Member

my rat rod build.

Post by hated1racing » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:11 am

finally decided it was time to go for it. i have been wanting a truck for a while and since i am now single, couldn't think of a better time.

31 ford model a truck. chopped already and the frame is the next task at hand. i will try to post pick as often as i can. things will be moving on it in the next 2 weeks. it will be a knuckle dragger for sure and it will be a driver as we are going to viva las vegas in april.

it will be chopped, channeled, topless, open motor and fenderless. 17" oxblood spokes in the back and 18"'s in the front. shine is the inspiration here so the truck will be bare metal with some patina and clear coated. should be a sexy beast! motor is undecided.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'everybody needs to believe in something, i believe i'll have another beer'. -Lee Ving

"how fortunate for governments that the people they administer dont think". -Adolph Hitler

hated1racing
Approved Member

Post by hated1racing » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:15 am

the seat in it is a bench and will not be the final seat. the drivelines will come right through the cab so some buckets sittin on the floor are where we will sit. the gas tank is up front and funtional so i will use it and save what is left in the bed (which isnt much being cut down 18" with an axle running right through the center of it). we will put a vintage cooler in the back with a tool box and that will be that.....
'everybody needs to believe in something, i believe i'll have another beer'. -Lee Ving

"how fortunate for governments that the people they administer dont think". -Adolph Hitler

hated1racing
Approved Member

Post by hated1racing » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:39 am

the frame is done. z'd 6" in the front and 10" in the rear. ride height will be 6" off the ground and the top of the windshield wil be 42" off the ground. wil post pics later in the week although it doesn't seem like there is any interest to this thread.

scr8p
Approved Member

Post by scr8p » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:47 am

are ya running a flathead in it?

hated1racing
Approved Member

Post by hated1racing » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:37 pm

scr8p wrote:are ya running a flathead in it?

not so lucky. i will be saving money to get a nicely built flathead but one of those would blow the whole projects budget. eventually though.

keithc6

Post by keithc6 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:18 pm

Yes, please keep posting pics. This stuff is right up my alley. Looks like a good starting point to work with. Keep the pics coming. You gonna put a small Ford or Chevy in it? I Think a 351C would look nice. 8)
The #1 Source for BS------------ http://ceesix.com/

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:23 am

as much as i would love to see a 351c wedged in there, it would take an extreamly light foot to keep the truck from spinnin the tires, that rod is gonna be sweet but really light on it's feet
R.I.P Braden Mare. you where a true friend and will be missed.

Rides:
JunkYard Nautilus....in dry dock for repairs
clodbuster (bigfoot 8 ) (upgraded to 12v lead acid sealed battery)
HPI RS4 MT (dead, brushless killed it)

scr8p
Approved Member

Post by scr8p » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:42 am

fryin' the tires with no fenders is fun, though. :D

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:51 am

Yeah keep us updated :D

The ebay auction I had to sell my Camaro's engine just ended. I wanted 3 grand for it but it only got to one grand. :? So now I don't know what im going to do. :? Might just sell the whole car. :(

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:06 am

LOWGEAR wrote:Yeah keep us updated :D

The ebay auction I had to sell my Camaro's engine just ended. I wanted 3 grand for it but it only got to one grand. :? So now I don't know what im going to do. :? Might just sell the whole car. :(
that sucks man, if i had the cash and the project i'd take the motor off your hands so you can keep the camero. hope all works out.

yea, keep us updated, got some new pics of that sweet rod?

Rides:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:38 am

Yeah, I thought it would sell for sure! I had a 3 minute video of it running on the auction page! Plus the auction had 15 watchers and 1,000 views. I'll probably list it in the local classifieds now. I figure it is a good time to sell it since people are getting their winter projects ready. That's what im trying to do now that for the first time in seven years I have a garage this winter to work on it.

Anyways back on topic. I bought an r/c rat rod project somebody started off ebay a long time ago. I was going to finish it but never did. I should though because it will be the first rat rod r/c ive ever seen. 8)

hated1racing
Approved Member

Post by hated1racing » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:02 am

here are a few mock ups with the chassis. ordering a ton of parts. should have a roller next week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scr8p
Approved Member

Post by scr8p » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:57 am

how ya setting up the rear axle? single leaf spring?

The Red Dragon
Approved Member

Post by The Red Dragon » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:53 am

i'd go with leaf set up to stay true to the rat rod style, with the way she is droped like that, she'll be plenty low with stock leafs from a car of the 70's

Rides:

keithc6

Post by keithc6 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Nice rails Hated. Did you build the chassis?
The #1 Source for BS------------ http://ceesix.com/