The R/C Barn, Canaan, NH

Going to a meet? Trying to organize one? Just get back from one?
Talk about it here, and let everyone know about it.
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: The R/C Barn, Canaan, NH

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Having gotten a few nights off, I was able to run in Wednesday evening's races. I brought my 4x4, just in case I broke my 2WD. My intentions were to run in stock slash, and 2WD SCT open. Since I don't normally run on Wednesdays, I did not know that they do a 3 classes-for-the-price-of-two deal...... so I brought the 4x4 out and raced in 4WD SCT open as well. :mrgreen:

The mains..... in reverse order.... :)

4WD SCT open:
With a broken truck..... (front diff case)
I finished 2nd!
You should have seen me in qualifying... I was awful..... as I was waaaaay out of practice with my 4x4....

stock-slash:
Finished 2nd.
I was leading..... crashed near the end.... could not get it back.... I think I'm cursed in this class.... LOL

2WD SCT open:
I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:
This was with my stock-slash with better tires on it. (Titan 12T/XL-5)
It was close, I had some good competition, all others were LCG and brushless.
2nd place was a durango with a 10.5T sensored system.

It was a great night with a lot of clean racing and great people.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:53 am

[youtube]vcVK7zuqZrI[/youtube]

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:30 pm

That was a cool video! Was that you driving Andy?
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:07 pm

The camera car?..... no, but you did see my pink+purple truck in there at one point.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:25 pm

I saw that. The camera car took you out there at the end... :mrgreen:
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Naw, he got by clean, Kyle is a good racer. This was the mod class, his truck is a brushless Durango.
However, that was not everything to be seen. He was sittin' in that spot a lot, I actually expected more footage of him on my bumper, and I passed him back. We went at it back and forth that whole race (qualifier #2) and I beat him if I remember correctly.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:54 am

I think this may be the best day I've had since I started coming to The R/C Barn! :)

We ran an enduro before the races. First guy to 100 laps wins. Limited Marshals... don't want to wait?.... self-Marshal (and I did a few times)..... pit strategy came into play too.... race was almost 40-minutes.... you HAD to plan on a battery change. I tried taking it easy and stretching it...... this actually worked as not over-driving it meant less crashes.
Got around 75 laps before lipo#1 gave it up, swapped in a fresh one.... and really went after it..... I think I did better staying smooth and steady, and then settled in for the rest of the race.

Got 3rd in the enduro, 2nd in SCT open, 1st in stadium truck, and 1st in stock slash. Never won in stadium truck before. Did it with an old-school rustler with the original fronts still on it (no foams or glue)..... blew my mind.... just goes to show you never know what's going to happen at The Barn.

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Mon May 12, 2014 4:11 am

Cool...I love enduro races...we once did a 1/10 version of a 24hr formula 1 race...2hr and 40min...with race teams and every number of the team needs to drive..(2 drivers, each drive half the time, 3 drivers- each a third of the time, and could switch as often as they wanted, as long as they made the minimum time driving)...stick silver can motors, repairs ok to do, but no using a second car...one guy did it ironman- no driver change, and he did his own battery changes...this was still back when we had nicd/nimh batteries, and the rules dictated sport packs, no matched cells...

Was really fun to participate in...we even ran out of packs and had to charge the first sets of packs we used...

I find enduro races to be super fun...

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:48 am

You would have liked this as it was indeed "ironman". The original plan was to run teams of 3 (both people+trucks), with one driving, one working the pit, and one marshalling. Due to it being Mother's day, attendance was too low to do that. I had wanted ironman ( you drive, you marshal, you pit)....when it was in doubt as to it happening at all. I was not expecting to get my wish.... but was glad I did.

I think if I'd have had a 7-8000+ mah lipo... I could have done it all on a single battery. We ran a flat-track, closing off the jump sections, leaving only straights, sweepers, and a chicane. I got pretty good at weaving the chicane, and sweepers are my favorite! I had some nice drifts going on, and some of them were on 3 wheels! :shock:

I ran the race with my stock slash XL-5. My titan 12T was just under 120 degrees after the race. A lot of the other guys were running much hotter and getting nervous. The guy that won had a big mah lipo, but also a big motor, he turned it down though (on his radio). I think I could do the 2 hour/40min thing with my truck, but I'd for sure pace it all the way..... might even gear down, as I run a tall 83/23 ratio.

nosyajg
Approved Member

Post by nosyajg » Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 am

Cool...in jealous you got to do that...I haven't done an enduro in forever...

I say two 5000 packs would be better than a big 8000 pack though...less weight to move around, and I think a pit stop would be more quicker than the time lost from the extra weight...It'd be easier to pass others who'd try to run a single battery...but that's the fun too- races won and lost in the pit stops...

A friend once ran his emaxx in the tmaxx class in the championships...he tq'd, and dominated the field...when the main came, he was planning on not pitting, and ran dual set of batteries...the qualifiers were 5 min, and the amain was 15 min...that strategy killed his chances, as the truck was no longer a fast or nimble...even he said he should just made a Pit stop to change batteries...he ended up in second...

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Had another twin-win!

SCT 2WD open: qualified 2nd, and won the A-main.

Stock-Slash: TQ and won the A-main.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:14 pm

New track lay-out:

[youtube]lGl8bjsuqFU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Looks tricky! I think you will need to be careful on that jump just before the 180... :mrgreen:
Jeff

Portland
Approved Member

Post by Portland » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:27 pm

that looks fun! is it racing only, or can people go in and just run the track with a clod?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Portland wrote:that looks fun! is it racing only, or can people go in and just run the track with a clod?
They have a 2-hour practice time before racing, and I've run my clod during that many times.

Here's me and a friend putting on a show after that races:
[youtube]RNBeOr5YwkY[/youtube]