Looking for a basher chassis for an old Clod. Boss Kong?

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
TIME MACHINE

Looking for a basher chassis for an old Clod. Boss Kong?

Post by TIME MACHINE » Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 am

Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased an old school Clod and was looking to put it back in action. I'm just a general basher who doesn't foresee my ever being involved in competitive racing.

I have explored the three or four different chassis options that are usually discussed, but then I stumbled on the Boss Kong chassis from RC Mayhem.

I did a search here and could only find posts dating back to 2006. I'm very interested in discussing the chassis and would like to hear the pros and cons. It seems like RC Mayhem has been making this chassis a very long time and that it quite impressive. It is not cheap, so I just wanted to hear a bit of info about it.

I did see a couple other manufacturers that I'm interested in, but they have limited info and require Facebook access. Not having prices listed and requiring a phone call or email just irritates me (I know, I'm old school). I like upfront pricing and not having to jump through hoops.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Looking for a basher chassis for an old Clod. Boss Kong?

Post by andymac0035 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:13 am

Not familiar with that chassis, but have built many bashers over the years. Bashing is a broad term though. You really need to lay out your driving style and how fast (in mph) you plan to make your top speed. Things you run into or jumps you go off of at 15 mph ... vs ... 25 mph ... vs .. 35+ mph are very different, as are how aggressive you get.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 am

Ah yes, I remember the Boss Kong chassis from like 15 years ago! It was basically a rudimentary version of the Clodzilla 3. I don't remember too many people ever buying one. Not only was it way overpriced, it was something you could pretty easily make yourself. I keep using past tense as I don't think they've been in business for probably the last 15 years either. I could be wrong though as their site is still up but hasn't been updated in a long time either.

TIME MACHINE

Post by TIME MACHINE » Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Thank you both for the input. I sent an email to RC Mayhem and they advised that they are still in production. I'm going to pour through this forum and do plenty of research and attempt to make an informed decision (which is almost impossible with me) :lol:

I regretfully sold my last Clod that had a Thundertech chassis, so I am hoping that whatever I buy will be in my permanent collection.

TIME MACHINE

Post by TIME MACHINE » Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 pm

Here are some pics of the donor vehicle. She's an original Clod, but has had quite a bit of customization through the years.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 am

I would never have guessed that they would still be active. :shock:

Anyway, if you're just looking to change your stock chassis while retaining many of the stock suspension components, check out CPE's Time Warp chassis: http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=923

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Fri May 18, 2018 7:54 pm

First off, welcome! I have pictures saved of the Boss King chassis as I thought abou fabbing something similar myself. I like the simplicity of it. Really surprised the guy is still making them. Looking forward to your build.