Beefier Springs for Super Clod

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
JasonDog3

Beefier Springs for Super Clod

Post by JasonDog3 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi,

I want to get stronger springs for my Super Clod. I just want 8 springs that will direct-fit onto the stock shocks. What should I get?

(I use the truck for plowing snow and just added a heavy salt/sand spreader to the rear of the truck. I could just lock out the suspension, but I'd rather just have some super strong springs!)

ratpower396
Approved Member

Re: Beefier Springs for Super Clod

Post by ratpower396 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:28 pm

I believe Traxxas springs are the sam diameter. I have clod springs on Traxxas shocks. They make extra firm springs for Traxxas shocks so might be an option.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:42 pm

To be clear, are you using the stock plastic shock or aftermarket oil shocks?

If you're using the stock plastic shocks, about the best you can hope is that the local hardware store has something that is the same diameter that you can cut to the length you need.

If you're using oil shocks, you're kind of screwed, since all oils shocks have very light springs, but, you could either try mounting the stock springs on the oil shocks or see what the hardware store has that you can make suit your needs.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Traxxas springs fit, and I do believe LOSI springs also fit. I'm pretty sure some of the LOSI springs are available in higher spring rates.

Failing any of that, I do believe CPE makes a kit to let you run a quad-shock set up.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:25 am

It might be easier and better to buy some cheap ebay 1/8 oil filled alloy shocks, that way you can run an external and internal spring, With the added benefit of smoother rebound action.

That said the stock radius arm tend to snap off shock mounts even wit stock springs, might have to get the brace mounted lower mounts for a high payload you plan on adding.

Side note whats going on with CPE ? I ordered some stuff last month that I never got, and brent is not responding via e-mail or Pm message on here, any other ways to contact them?

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 pm

NorthernNightmare wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:25 am
Side note whats going on with CPE ? I ordered some stuff last month that I never got, and brent is not responding via e-mail or Pm message on here, any other ways to contact them?
Seems to be a common problem with CPE, and they don't care how long you have to wait. :roll:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Thats lame, i hope he gets back to me it was under $50 but stll kinda a let down for now :(

On a side note, wheres a good place to attach a upper link mounts on the clod, all the mounting options look either off center or in the way of the bell crank

I got the lower ones done in the inner "c" but i still wana use the factory style center steering servo, what to do :?:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:33 am

Use the upper "C"... but I don't like that style. (the classic old-school 4-link)

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:29 am

Thanks Andy, Dont like that under chaissi 4 links setup either! So i was able to fab something up makeinc a new centerd top mount that clears the center steer rods. i will post it in clod section one day

Do you by chance know the brake line tube size i need to shield the smaller all thread rod, The two break lines I bought are either too small or too big. Its been so long since i done all thread links.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:18 am

Sorry, I don't. I usually use various e-maxx e-revo push rods and tow links and different ends to make suspension links. I've thought about using plastic tubing, but have yet to try it.

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:04 am

8/32 threaded rod uses 1/4in brake line

JasonDog3

Post by JasonDog3 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 pm

What options do I have to beef up the torque of my Clod? The Mudslingers Tires have really good traction in the snow. When I'm plowing, sometimes both tires on an axle can get stuck, and the motor can't turn them.

I'm open to getting different motors or gearing.

JasonDog3

Post by JasonDog3 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:05 pm

ratpower396 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:28 pm
I believe Traxxas springs are the sam diameter. I have clod springs on Traxxas shocks. They make extra firm springs for Traxxas shocks so might be an option.
What exact model of Traxxas springs will fit the stock-shocks of the Super Clod?

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:01 am

T or E maxx same shocks...