What's Up?

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
Halgar
Administrator

What's Up?

Post by Halgar » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:07 am

Hey guys, what's going on these days? Where is everyone? Winter is coming, any cool projects in the works? 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

GRAVETXT-1

Re: What's Up?

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:21 am

Have never seen it so quiet even clod buster and shaft driven section are very quiet when they used to be relatively busy. Am hoping to see some more activity as we get closer to winter... :popcorn:

On the subject I currently have an old school ladder style frame build on the go with full TXT-2 transmission... of course! Once Clawing Dead is fully finished I will start new build thread :)
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Sounds like an interesting project. Are you trying to keep it all old school, or are you going to put links and cantilevers and such on it?

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Halgar wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:05 pm
Sounds like an interesting project. Are you trying to keep it all old school, or are you going to put links and cantilevers and such on it?
Imagine a Jamie Grund chassis but without leaf springs but dual shocks instead my plan is to use a Blackfoot hard body so will have wheelbase to suit the body :)
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:02 am

I look forward to seeing more of the project!

Now, if we could just get a few more of the yahoos around here to chime in. :roll: #-o :lol:

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:06 am

Might finally get started on my Sassy Chassis USA 1....

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm

R Cane wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:06 am
Might finally get started on my Sassy Chassis USA 1....
Well, if you'd spend a little less time screwing around at that other site you'd have more time to get going on the Sassy! :wink: :P :mrgreen:

What kind of plans do you have for it?

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:41 pm

First, I need to determine what I'm missing. I don't know what parts came with the Sassy originally, and which parts you were supposed to use from the original truck...and I assume there wasn't a manual of any sort for the Sassy?
So I need to whip out a USA 1 manual - I have one downloaded, and maybe look for pics of a completed Sassy version online, and see what I need to pick up. I've got quite a bit, but I know I still need some of it.
Such as... I believe I have all of the original shocks, but I know I don't have the shock towers. Or the body mounts.
I go back and forth between keeping it stock (except for the Sassy gear) or doing some modernizing, especially better shocks, etc.
I think I only have 3 of the 4 wheels and tires...so I need to make decisions like that...original or not? Biggest issue is that I don't have a lot of cash to put into it, too many medical bills this last year. Getting old sucks. :roll:
There's no way I'm going to spend a small fortune on an original hard body, so since that'll be a lexan replacement, I'm kinda leaning toward doing my own thing with it...

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:56 pm

R Cane wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:41 pm
First, I need to determine what I'm missing. I don't know what parts came with the Sassy originally, and which parts you were supposed to use from the original truck...and I assume there wasn't a manual of any sort for the Sassy?
So I need to whip out a USA 1 manual - I have one downloaded, and maybe look for pics of a completed Sassy version online, and see what I need to pick up. I've got quite a bit, but I know I still need some of it.
Such as... I believe I have all of the original shocks, but I know I don't have the shock towers. Or the body mounts.
I go back and forth between keeping it stock (except for the Sassy gear) or doing some modernizing, especially better shocks, etc.
I think I only have 3 of the 4 wheels and tires...so I need to make decisions like that...original or not? Biggest issue is that I don't have a lot of cash to put into it, too many medical bills this last year. Getting old sucks. :roll:
There's no way I'm going to spend a small fortune on an original hard body, so since that'll be a lexan replacement, I'm kinda leaning toward doing my own thing with it...
There might be someone around here that has one that could kind of give you a parts list. Check out the projects forum. It's been a long time since I've seen a Sassy A-1.

Not sure what the availability of an A-1 body is. Generally, hard bodies are fairly easy to come by, since most people seem to prefer lexan shells to the more realistic OEM bodies. If you don't care what the body is, you're in luck, Christmas is near, which means that all the NIKKO rc crap will be hitting all the big box stores. I got a Tundra body a while back for $20 at a thrifts store. Keep an eye on Craigslist and SleazeBay too.

It really depends on what you're going to do with the truck whether you want to keep as much of the OEM gear as possible or not worry about it. If you're looking for a restoration shelf queen, then OEM parts will probably hold their value should you decide to sell the truck at a later date. If this is going to be a driver, then you're probably going to want to have a little better performance than what OEM parts have to offer, though with a little massaging, things like the stock shocks can have significantly increased travel. By increasing the size of the breather hole in the rim you can tune how quickly the tires deflate, which will significantly reduce bouncing. Small things like this retain the stock look while giving you a whole lot better performance. 8)

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 am

I'm going to post up a pic of my workbench tomorrow so you guys can see what I'm working with - because I have enough parts now to build a truck or 2, and my others are pretty well finished up so I think it's time! :)
Monster trucks rule :)