*** Situation Seems Critical ***

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
RCMT John
Approved Member

Re: *** Situation Seems Critical ***

Post by RCMT John » Sun May 14, 2017 4:53 am

Im new to the forum and just getting back into the hobby. I like the site but have found that facebook is very popular. I only joined facebook to buy some RC parts from a guy. I think part of the problem is people know there is a larger audience there so they use it as there go to. I have emailed companies that I have bought from or want to buy from with no response but they post everything on facebook and answer their messages on there. I like the truck of the month here and it lets newbys know its still an active site. I have found sites with no posts for a long time and dead links everywhere. One way to get more traffic is to have companies on facebook refer to the site, maybe even release new stuff here instead of there. I would hate to see sites like this disappear and look forward to being an active member. Cleaning up dead links and keeping an active list of companies would be great. I was interested in a companies products only to see on their facebook that they are taking a break from the hobby. Long live Clodtalk.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun May 14, 2017 8:12 am

andymac0035 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 3:37 am
We do have the meets/events section, and people were posting racing stuff there for a while, but that seems to have died out.
You know I never knew we had a meets/events section! Maybe encourage some of those racers to post here. There are a few on FB groups that race regularly. I know Gavin (kingclod27?) does. I might send him a pm to see if he is interested in posting his clubs race results here.

Hypercliff

Post by Hypercliff » Thu May 18, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm a relative newbie to the site.
I think this site is great for the detail Clodbuster build information, parts/motors/esc selection etc. That's what drew me here. But....I have more than just a Clodbuster. In terms of trucks I have lunchbox, Midnight pumpkin, Twin detonator as well as 3 and a half clodbusters.
It seems to me that this site is too niche for the available volume and you're on the right lines expanding the site to appeal to there same audience but for more of what is interesting to them. I would also aim to appeal to people of all levels. The site contains a lot of detail as forums would but the other end of the scale are those who buy RTR trucks, leave them bog standard but would be interested to talk about the fun they're having, post pics, videos and talk to others. that's what I'm seeing of Facebook. I think you can span between the RTR monster trucks right up to the completely custom built works of art and performance trucks.

MonsterRCTalk.com would be good if it's just for monster trucks. The crawler peoplewill find it and it's not to long winded.

Or you expand into all RC cars and go for RCTalk.com
That's how you'll get all the traffic!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:20 am

Thanks for the feedback, I'd say you nailed it.

We don't have the content to go for the whole RCTalk idea, but we sure have the straight axle angle covered.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon May 22, 2017 3:19 am

It has to be the new management! See what happens when ol' Halgar ain't in charge? :roll: :wink: :wink:

I've been away from the computer and RCs too long to have an accurate pulse. In my area it seems that MT's have always been the redheaded stepchild of the RC world, not a lot of interest, at least organized and easily accessible. Even the largest hobby shop in town, give or take 6000 square feet of RC goodness, specializes more in planes and racers than MT'rs.

I also do not participate with any form of social media, so can't give any ideas on how to market ourselves there either. I don't get the premise of social media, let alone begin to follow it.

FB is probably our best bet to promote the site. I know that at least one member here has tried to run an FB forum/chatline/whatever, though in all honesty, this person wasn't really the best person for the job (Flashgordon ). I would have to leave social media promotions to you guys that use and understand the platform, though, through discussions here I'd certainly be able to contribute ideas. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon May 22, 2017 8:36 am

The FB group that Flash created is really popular. There are three main pages that I know of and they all seem to be doing really well. I would say that since I got back into the Hobby 4ish years ago this has been the most popular time for Clods/Solid axle MT's, there just isn't much traffic here.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon May 22, 2017 8:37 am

Double post :oops:
Last edited by Sixtys Guy on Mon May 22, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 am

Tamiyaclub recently has completely re designed their site and know I notice even less people are leaving comments about the models in the showroom part of the site. Two years ago some models would get ten to fifteen comments you are lucky if you get one or two know even with the reworked design.

Just something I have noticed.
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane » Fri May 26, 2017 3:17 am

One thing I'd love to see is a thread devoted just to tracks where you can go and have some fun. I think that would be a nice boost to interest in general. The meets and events thread covers some larger venues and sponsored races, but I'm talking local tracks where you can just take your son/daughter and go have some fun for a bit. A list of locations, hours, fees...etc. I think that likely the only way that would work is if a fair number of us did some local digging/phone calling, etc...but I bet that would be a pretty popular thread. I live out in the boonies, and the closest track I know of is about an hour and a half drive each way. If we had a thread to share these, and someone knew of something closer, I'd be stoked.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:58 am

^^^ I agree that would be a good thread. I am luckier than most, as I live next door to the only indoor off-road track in all of New Hampshire.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:00 am

So... Somebody found the spot where you can change the site description........ Is this better?

soze
Approved Member

Post by soze » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 pm

This site is still the best site for Clod related info. I don't think any other site comes close.

DirtyChevy45

Post by DirtyChevy45 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:18 pm

ive been around this site for a long time so long i forgot my old password and email related to it and had to make a new one. my old handle was "ModTxT-1". i have always loved this site for builds and what got me really into rc-mt's. countless hours spent scowering this site for pics and parts and whats hot and not. i love it. life happens to everyone and ive been away for a little bit but always come back. as far as content yes...you have to keep with the times or you will not grow. you will stay the same or die off which i hope never happens. as far as facebook it is a great gateway for social interaction these days. i think honestly i'm only apart of 2 groups on there....partially because i don't know of how to find anymore lol if i search only those come up. i feel it would be a good thing to open up and maybe try facebook. name it the same and do bigger highlights. i'm suprised my post here has over 2k views and not a whole lot of comments and i'm trying to keep it updated when i get parts. ive made comments in the vender section with no response but have reached out on fb and gotten responses from both parties multiple times.... i think it would be good to get some more traffic. i love this site and would help you guys anyway i could. also locally to me i don't know anyone into mt's just crawling. being in mid-tn now thats kind of the "thing" but id love to find people locally and i think FB would be a great way to do that.

Mike

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:08 am

Sadly the root problem goes way deeper than slow traffic on clodtalk, almost all the great automotive, ohv, RC, and really any information forums are being left behind as people grow softer. It dont help that half the small group of clod/mt people use one MT forum and the other half use another, I only use this one because it is better and easier to post pictures.

The online web has become a sad shell of its former self like a brain on drugs. Documenting information in words and pictures (not just a blast of random pictures!) Having a multiway conversation in different mechanical fields, like sharing real first hand knowledge has almost becoming taboo.

But thanks to all holdouts that avoid facebook for the useless liberal fad it really is. If you dont like it :butthead: :butthead:
Last edited by NorthernNightmare on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

cher9498
Approved Member

Post by cher9498 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 pm

i have a couple simple suggestions. i myself have not been on the site in a long time. i have 4 clod projects sitting for a couple years now. with facebook and instagram and tumblr and daily life i have not been motivated to or thought be here. so my suggestions are 1 private message all memebers let them know that we should all get online say friday at 7pm and catch up with eachother. 2 get tumbler acct just advertise clodtalk same with instagram. the reason i suggested private message is because a lot of us have to check email daily and will see the notification of a message. i have met a lot of good people on this forum and have made many friends here that i still talk to years later and would like to see this place hopping again.
duct tape is like the force it has a light side and a darkside and binds the universe together
(from a scientist on the history channel)