Drilling extra air holes in stock clod wheels

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
Buggyjam

Drilling extra air holes in stock clod wheels

Post by Buggyjam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi all!

This is my first post after my introduction on the new members topic. Just to pick some brains. I've read of an idea to help with the stock clod wheels. I'm just finishing my Clod and it has 4 oil filled shocks. I've read that drilling extra air holes in the Tamiya wheels allows the tyres more "give" and helps the suspension.

Is this a good idea? I didn't want it too squishy but seemed logical to stock it bouncing so much

Thanks!

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Drilling extra air holes in stock clod wheels

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 am

I think it's a good idea. Some just drill the existing hole larger. I drilled 3 more holes, spacing them out around the wheel.

Buggyjam

Post by Buggyjam » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon May 22, 2017 3:30 am

I added a second hole, the same size as the original, 180* across from the original. It allows the tire to deflate faster, which absolutely helps with bounce.

One word of caution, if you're going to be running in water/mud, then you do not want to glue your tires to the rim because you'll want to be able to get the mud out of the tire later.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

GodsLiLMistake
Approved Member

Post by GodsLiLMistake » Mon May 22, 2017 4:00 am

Or you can use a leather hole punch and punch holes into the tires themselves by the middle of the tread so centrifical force will push the water mud or whatever else is stuck in tire out of the holes. I normally put 3 or 4 (1/8"- 3mm) holes around the tires evenly spaced out.