Question for all the new (or new-er) members

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!

Is the greeting message a good thing?

Yes! It made me feel welcomed and got me to introduce myself.
67%
No! Why are you guys stalking me? Jeez I just wanted a membership.
No votes
I'd vote... but I'm afraid you'll PM me again.... sheesh!
No votes
Who wrote that crizzap any ways?
No votes
You know.... a robot could do your admin job better..... I'm just sayin'....
No votes
If only Halgar was still in charge, this new admin dude sux! *EDIT* I saw that Halgar!!!
33%

Total votes: 6

andymac0035
Administrator

Question for all the new (or new-er) members

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:09 am

About 2 years ago we started using/sending that "Welcome to Clodtalk!!" private message/greeting to all new member after activating their memberships.

Kinda' interesting how it happened. You know that "what was your first real R/C" question?

Well a new member filled it out as a story of sorts. Telling us how he got into the hobby and what he had back then, and how he was doing nowadays. Really a from the heart story and I felt compelled to message him welcoming him to the site. It just felt like the right thing to do and we (us admins) all got together and made up a greeting.... which is the one all new members see.

So what I'm curious about, is if the greeting did it's job, or if most people just want their membership activated and don't really need the greeting PM?
We do all this manually BTW, both the activations, and the message.. well we cheat... and copy+paste the message, but the point is, it's not automated.

Just for grins I'm going to add a poll and have some fun with this... I mean hey, were a site about playing with our toy trucks after all, so we gotta' have fun. :mrgreen:

Halgar
Administrator

Re: Question for all the new (or new-er) members

Post by Halgar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm sure it's that last one! :lol:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Buggyjam

Re: Question for all the new (or new-er) members

Post by Buggyjam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:19 pm

I'm a brand new joiner. I think it was a pleasant introduction and sent a friendly message. Some forums can be rats nests after all. I would say I wasn't really in the mind to go over my personal side of things too much but I still did a post on the introduce yourself forum about what I'm running, how I got into the hobby etc. I think it's a good thing to send a welcome.