Selling vintage RC models

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Selling vintage RC models

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Hey guys. I am selling a Tamiya Fox on eBay. In the description I said that it was 'vintage'. A guy sends me a message and asked if it was totally original. I say no, it has rere rear wheels and the top chassis cover off a rere as well. He has a bit of a dig saying it wasn't vintage then. I think fair enough, so I modify the listing stating the later model parts it has, but keep the vintage description.

Shortly after someone (I don't think it's the same guy) links my eBay add in a Vintage Tamiya FB group saying it is a great example of a seller being a 'dishonest, deceitful and untrustworthy'. I posted up saying it was mine and that I had no intention of deceiving anyone and that it didn't think it was a big deal, but took it on board ( that's why I changed the add originally) . Not good enough apparently! The guy says that telling mis truths is the same as lying. He's not the only one either, there is another guy having a dig.

Now I know this is a first world problem and I shouldn't worry about it, but I don't really like having my integrity questioned. The whole reason I modified the add was because I didn't want t deceive anyone, even though I didn't really think I was. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word vintage, maybe 80's Fox may have been better. I clearly didn't realise that people would be offended by this

It begs the question though, when is something not vintage? I asked the guy if I replaced the plastic bushes in the front wheels with bearings and not disclosing it, if this would mean I am being deceitful. Then, if I put in plastic bushes off my rere Wild One if that would also be deceitful. He hasn't answered yet. Im not even sure if I used the same wheel nuts it came with..... I did replace the plastic wheel puck with a rere as well as the originals were spilt. Is this being deceitful?

Like I said, first world problem but it is bothering me.

GRAVETXT-1

Re: Selling vintage RC models

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Based on the description you have given I would say yes your Fox is vintage and those guys are just being :butthead: retentive. In fact I think calling you out on facebook is crazy things break on rc's especially decades old examples.

My Midnight Pumpkin which dates back to 1989 has CV oil filled dampers instead of original pogo sticks I suppose in their eyes this makes it non vintage!

Would bug me as well being accused of not being honest my advice is to stay off facebook and stick with clodtalk that is why I am not on facebook it is full of clowns.

Give it a decade or less and facebook will implode but "traditional" forums like clodtalk will still be going :thumbsup:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

Justinswraps
Business Member

Post by Justinswraps » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:38 pm

Apparently the guy needs to know the difference between Vintage and original. Just because something is vintage does not mean its original. Hell look at clods that are JPS covered! It's vintage for sure, but not original by s long shot lol. I wouldn't worry about it. Some ppl are just ignorant
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks Alex and Justin. I have come to the conclusion that they guy is either taking the pizz out of me or he is nuts. He keeps saying that I 'insinuated' that it is original, which I did not (see him quoting my add below).

He answered my question.....

"I quote your ad
"To my knowledge the only non original parts are rear wheels and upper chassis."

The bearings arnt original are they? You know their not original..so half truths on your behalf. Insinuating everything else is is original...
What else isnt original mark? Tell all"

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:53 pm

I would just ignore it. Duded is totally trying to get under your skin and just being a troll.
Jeff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:03 am

Thanks Jeff! It's not just him now, another guy is now having a go. I clearly am not on the same page (pun intended) as these guys, I am just going to have to admit defeat and remove myself from the group, and stick to Clod Talk! I am a mature adult, not sure why I am letting this get to me lol!

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:40 am

Sounds like a troll to me. I'm not familiar with the Fox, but I could see an argument for it not being "vintage" if part of the chassis has been replaced. Tires and bearings though? Get real, I bet the battery doesn't have its original charge either, does it?
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

Justinswraps
Business Member

Post by Justinswraps » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:17 am

It must be troll day, had a new guy in my SAMM group on Facebook post a picture of his redcat rampage 1/5 rig. He was mistaken and didn't realize what a solid axle truck was. He posted it was a solid axle truck because it has steel shafts. There where a few guys in the group that ripped him up and down the block about it. A better way would have been to explain to the kid what a solid axle truck is instead of yelling at him and calling him names. Unfortunately I came into it later than I would have liked to stop it. I pm'd him firstly to apologize for the ignorance and then explained to him what a solid axle truck is. He now has a better understanding of the meaning solid axle.

Just goes to show you, there always someone out there just waiting to make the next guy look like an idiot.
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:31 am

Thanks guys. I have removed myself from the group, but not before noticing that the post where he called me out on the add has now been deleted - not sure if it was him (I doubt it) or the page admin.

Now onto my 'real' life with 'real' issues lol!

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:30 pm

=D> :)
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:36 pm

Most people would be thankful that Tamiya re-releases older models so that broken items/wrecks on auction websites can be resurrected and enjoyed again. Of course there will always be the die hard collector who lusts after the first 100 models in unused, or nib condition.

Sounds to me like he got disappointed that what he thought might be an original parts car, potentailly to be had for a good price, wasn't 100% what he hoped he could profit from.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks percymon. I almost sent you a pm about this to get your opinion. I have the same opinion as you in regards to the rere parts. Anyway I'm off the page and the Fox sold at eBay, so it all worked out in the end!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:55 pm

Isn't FB the troll capitol of the world? :roll:

This conversation has been had over at RC10Talk many times, the purists don't want rere parts on a restoration, they only want original. You'll also find that the purist is able to field strip said model and identify every nut and bolt blindfolded. That means that you found yourself a troll who fired up the nest of trolls. The fact that his post was deleted is an indication that others feel the same as you.

Just curious, what did you get for yours? I sold mine a few months ago, it was in really rough shape, got $40 for it. Mine was vintage though! :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Well put Halgar, I think you're on the money.... I knew I was on a hiding to nothing when it was said that the original plastic bushes had to be in the front wheels..... This even though I never said it was original, and I didn't actually replace the plastic bushes!

I got $195Aud (about $140Usd) for it. I paid just under that, so I was happy with it. I've seen some similar to mine go for over $220Aud, some in the low $100's.

LAV25

Post by LAV25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Wow. I mean, I was overjoyed when they re-released the Bruiser and Sand Scorcher. No, I haven't bought either one yet, but just knowing that I could is enough for me; there was no way I was spending over a grand for an RC that was both easily breakable and hard to repair.

I guess I just don't understand hardcore collectors of anything.
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?