JAPAN

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
charliechristmas58
Approved Member

JAPAN

Post by charliechristmas58 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:48 pm

Who was it that lived in Japan ? I hope that there alright after what has happened there
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming to the Lord,
"Wow, What a ride!"

Halgar
Administrator

Re: JAPAN

Post by Halgar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:01 am

TomT is the most recent person, though he's safely back in the Great Lakes region.

BloodClod is sorta kinda in that area and probably felt some of the tsunami effects.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:06 am

Man, what a tragedy... :( I hope his Tom’s wife is ok? She went back in Jan after the short stay here. Has anyone seen him around lately?
Jeff

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 am

I was chatting with him via email at 1am this morning. His wife is fine, but communications were down with her family.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:23 am

Well I hope they are all okay!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Don't worry, because of Godzilla they're used to it.

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:20 am

Hiya Guys,

My (ex)wife (Fumiko) and her family are OK. No issues with the house there other than no electric or comms (texting for certain carriers did work) for a few days. Her house is 2 miles inland and 40 feet above sea level, the coast where many fishermans house's were is FUBAR but nothing came up to the house, VERY LUCKY. About 10 miles south of there is MAJOR FUBAR. About 400 miles of coastline is pretty much not there anymore, all the places we use to cruise around. Fumiko told me that Sunday thier gasoline for the places that managed to open was rationed to 10 Liters... 2.6 gallons! She also told me that the stores that were open were sold out of everything. The Gov. seems to be dragginf it's feet as usual and a bunch of Nuke plants are messed up. I knew they could not handle a freakin disaster. People went to earthquake shelters and they had no food or water stored there, WTF!! That country will be messed up for a long time... what I hate is just hearing about the people in Tokyo, the epicenter was about 180 miles North of there, were the hell is their media coverage! Focused on the The North American beaver has a big tail city, that is where!

I had the foresight to buy a few of those 3-day two people survival kits so Fumiko and her friend had flashlights, radios, high carb food, fresh drinking water, blankets, first aid kits, gas canisters for compact hiking cooking gear, lanterns, blah, blah, blah. She always thought I was paranoid but she sure appreciates it now. Be prepared, you sure can't count on anyone except yourself during an emergency.

As a funny (kind of) side note they had some candles in the house (good idea??? with 6.0 aftershocks *shakes head*) and the cat walked by and caught his tail on fire!!! LOL, I've wanted to take that cat out so many times!

Thanks for your concerns guys, I truely believe the worst is yet to come in a few weeks though when food, heat, shelter and medical care are needed but not provided.
TomT

Indiana Jones: "...It's not the years, but the mileage..."

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:40 am

Wow! Glad to hear they are fine Tom. It is going to be a long time before they get back on their feet again. I have been watching the coverage on CNN and it’s amazing how many have survived considering what has happened in that area.
I believe your right on the worst has yet to come. I wonder if the US is going to get involved. They are going to need help.

LOL on the cat… :lol:
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:47 am

SFC K wrote:Wow! Glad to hear they are fine Tom. It is going to be a long time before they get back on their feet again. I have been watching the coverage on CNN and it’s amazing how many have survived considering what has happened in that area.
I believe your right on the worst has yet to come. I wonder if the US is going to get involved. They are going to need help.

Quite a few base's there and two carrier groups off-shore (pretty ironic considering they would not let nuke power ship's / submarines dock but when they need us it's OK) Already a couple SAR teams out there but not enough. What Japan needs to do is focus on the living but they are directing resources to the dead....
TomT

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:51 am

TomT wrote:
SFC K wrote:Wow! Glad to hear they are fine Tom. It is going to be a long time before they get back on their feet again. I have been watching the coverage on CNN and it’s amazing how many have survived considering what has happened in that area.

Quite a few base's there and two carrier groups off-shore (pretty ironic considering they would not let nuke power ship's / submarines dock but when they need us it's OK) Already a couple SAR teams out there but not enough. What Japan needs to do is focus on the living but they are directing resources to the dead....
They should try and split it up (their forces) so that the living get support as well. They must be worried about diseases building up from all the dead left unfound.

I’m surprised that with the number of people that live in Japan there isn’t more help.
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:57 am

SFC K wrote:
TomT wrote: Quite a few base's there and two carrier groups off-shore (pretty ironic considering they would not let nuke power ship's / submarines dock but when they need us it's OK) Already a couple SAR teams out there but not enough. What Japan needs to do is focus on the living but they are directing resources to the dead....
They should try and split it up (Their forces). They must be worried about diseases building up from all the dead left unfound.

I’m surprised that with the number of people that live in Japan there isn’t more help.
Most contingency planning / funding takes place in Tokyo and everywhere else is just expendable. I have always hated big cities and Governments. Most Japanese don't know that the drills they run in Tokyo and figures they provide are during a possible quake at night (lowest population density) and the summer. Worst case is Daytime and winter, but they don't run those numbers for the public.....

One lady in Tokyo was pissed because she could not wash her hair due to lack of water... WTF, possible 10,000 dead, no drinking water and you are worried about your hair?!?!?!?!

BTW it's winter there so proliferation of disease should be slowed a bit as opposed to the warmer months.
TomT

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:13 am

I like cats, but that is hilarious!!!

Glad to hear that she is ok Tom, not glad to hear that the divorce is going through??

What can she be thinking? Maybe its time to move back to the states or 50 more miles inland.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:15 am

Diamond Dave wrote:I like cats, but that is hilarious!!!

Glad to hear that she is ok Tom, not glad to hear that the divorce is going through??

What can she be thinking? Maybe its time to move back to the states or 50 more miles inland.

LOL,

Tom is back here in MN now... :lol:
Jeff

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:18 am

Diamond Dave wrote:I like cats, but that is hilarious!!!

LOL, it's a pretty civil divorce, nobody did anything wrong, just a divergence in the plans for the future.

She's a Japanese national and "her" house, land, family and friends are there.... a hell of a lot to ask somebody to give up for you... I did it for close to 10 years.. Different strokes for different folks.
TomT

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:21 am

Ya, thats right. Different strokes. And I knew he was in MN. I personally think japan is a better place to live (maybe not right now)

I see as much snow as you do Tom, I have had enough of it.