Finally got out to play, Now I have questions

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
troystr68
Approved Member

Finally got out to play, Now I have questions

Post by troystr68 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Well, I finally got 3 of my 4 RC's out for there first beating of the season. the only one that didn't get run was the clod. I am STILL waiting on JPS to send me a part I lost plowing snow. Man are they slow. any way my kids TC3 did great BUT kept stalling, I had to give it a little push and then it would drive. Both girls had a ton of fun trying to keep it on the street. My TC3 got its first run and with a new Checkpoint 10X2 motor was quite fun to drive only it got SUPER hot, I mean SUPER SUPER hot. the battery and ESC were too hot to touch. I thought it would have been a lot faster. the only car that ran flawlessly was my Nitro TC3 and I tell you what that thing is wicked fast. the engine is finally dialed in for the ram air intake and boy she screams!!! it was so fast I could barely hit second gear before I had to shut it down.

Any suggestions about the 2 issues would be awesome!!!!!
The stalling and the super hot. Thanks!!
Attachments
my tc3.JPG
my tc3.JPG (76.52 KiB) Viewed 736 times
naked nitro.JPG
naked nitro.JPG (71.1 KiB) Viewed 736 times
ram air.JPG
ram air.JPG (61.32 KiB) Viewed 736 times
tri fecta.JPG
tri fecta.JPG (68.05 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Life is too short to be in a hurry Slow down and enjoy the ride!!!

Claude Balls
Approved Member

Post by Claude Balls » Sun May 06, 2007 9:35 pm

Cant answer your questions dude but thats a nice looking group ! 8)

Sir_Crackien
Approved Member

Post by Sir_Crackien » Mon May 07, 2007 6:04 pm

first on the TC3 get rid of those blade style connectors. they are cause some of the heat for sure. also check your mesh on the pinion gear, with a fast motor like that it is very important to have the right mesh on that beast. also check to make sure the speed control is rated for the motor (i can't imagen that is the problem though).

cool to hear that some people are running their cars though.

sucks to hear the clod is ok though

troystr68
Approved Member

Post by troystr68 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:46 pm

I went with the blade style connector cause I couldn't get the solder to stick on the motor tabs, I had my iron up to 700 degree's I even scratched them and used a flux and no matter what I tried the solder would not adhear to the tabs. so I put on the blades. and Great call on the gear mesh I never even thought about that. and I am at the very max for the ESC it is rated no more than a 10 turn and that is what I put in it.

Sir_Crackien
Approved Member

Post by Sir_Crackien » Mon May 07, 2007 10:59 pm

cool glad i could help.

you do really need to get ride of those blade connectors though as they are causing undue stress of your whole system and also causing it to run slower. a solder connection can be measured in fraction of ohms where as the blade connectors are measures in whole ohmic values which could actually be higher than the motor itself

rcktpwrd

Post by rcktpwrd » Mon May 07, 2007 11:23 pm

can't help with the :?:

but they are cool looking rides! 8)

TomT
Approved Member

Post by TomT » Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 am

Looks like you have some pretty extreme alignment angles on the tires that could also cause a lot of drag... maybe. :)

troystr68
Approved Member

Post by troystr68 » Tue May 08, 2007 2:06 am

tom, i used an integy set up station to set the angles. The only one that may be extream is the rear block that is set by AE but I could order a different one Im sure, Any suggestions on how to get the solder to adhear to the motor tabs and I am game, I have tryed all I know. and thanks for the kind words they are a ton o fun espically the nitro!! But I really can't wait to get my clod back in action. I wanna pull stuff!!!

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue May 08, 2007 5:30 am

troystr68 wrote:Any suggestions on how to get the solder to adhear to the motor tabs and I am game, I have tryed all I know. and thanks for the kind words they are a ton o fun espically the nitro!! But I really can't wait to get my clod back in action. I wanna pull stuff!!!
Put a sanding drum on your dremel and have at it. You really have to do more than put a few scratches, you really need to scuff/clean the metal, then use a flux core solder. I know I had a bugger of a time the first time I tried it, until getting the dremel out, then it was almost no problem at all.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

jchung
Approved Member

Post by jchung » Tue May 08, 2007 7:22 pm

Try changing to a smaller pinion. It sounds like the motor is working too hard with its current gear ratio.

ricrush
Approved Member

Post by ricrush » Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 pm

Hey Troy whats up? As far as your childs tc3 goes on the stalling problem it really sounds like you have a hung brush or some brushes that are very worn and the brushes isnt contacting the the armature properly. Thats why the it needs the bump to get going.

As far as the other car goes. ....A few tips first make sure that soldering iron is properly tinned and clean. Tin the ends of the wires good and the tabs need to be clean and tin those too. Halgar has the proper tips also about cleaning. Now I hope that you geared down quite a bit for that 10 turn. What pinion you use I dont know maybe you could hit rccaractions forum. If that motor has positive timing in it it could run hot too. Yes gear mesh could cause drag too.
Any questions on nrctpa racing feel free to contact me. My email is ricrush66@sbcglobal.net

troystr68
Approved Member

Post by troystr68 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Hey Ric, As always great advise!! You know I just grabbed what ever pinion I had and never really counted out the teeth on it or the spur. Hmm I think I got a bit sloppy on these onroad cars. and as I bought the cars on the bay I never even checked the brushes. that makes perfect sence!!! The kids car was the only complete car I bought and I snagged that Nastruck body for my car let the kids pick a body they both liked and hit the street. My car was built from parts lots and heck I have enough parts to build a 4th car with extras!! I now and some more wrenching to do, My favorite part!!!! Thanks guys for all the sugestions!!!

ricrush
Approved Member

Post by ricrush » Thu May 10, 2007 3:11 am

Troy I like that truck body by the way that does look sharp. Dont rule out a bent brush hood either. That brush has to slide in and out very smooth. Good luck again.
Any questions on nrctpa racing feel free to contact me. My email is ricrush66@sbcglobal.net

badhoopty

Post by badhoopty » Thu May 10, 2007 3:42 am

jchung wrote:Try changing to a smaller pinion. It sounds like the motor is working too hard with its current gear ratio.
x2.
------------
rc10>clod

RC10Talk.com