rc crawling history?

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
kazi

rc crawling history?

Post by kazi » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi all, I'll like to write an article about crawling for a spanish rc magazine, the technical part is easy as I'll just explain how to make a crawler roughly, I'll like to explain also some rc crawler history, any places where to find info, or can somebody help me with this issue? a link to the clodtalk site will be included in the magazine review, same as name and car pictures of the people that whould like to help and appear there. :wink:

tuffguy

Post by tuffguy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:05 pm

You couldn't do a serious article without mentioning "The Man" Mudcow.
His videos were the first ones I ever saw.
Kevin

jchung
Approved Member

Post by jchung » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:40 pm

Yes, I agree. MudCow vids are what started me looking into clods and eventually crawlers. :D

BaddClod
Approved Member

Post by BaddClod » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:10 am

You could also check out rccrawler.com.Lot's of useful info and how-to's as well as, buildups and other useful stuff on there.
"I've upped my standard's"...
"Now Up Your's"...
671 Monster's

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:12 am

if you really want to know about the ROOTS of RC crawling and where exactly it started and who they were and what RC's they used. contact Hua at RC4WD.com. he was involed in it from the begining and with the originators......the rest are all copy-cats from that point on......and yes they made the first crawler vids years before mudcow was doin it, not that mudcows vids aren't awsome. he's just not the originator.

BTW, everyone at rccrawler will claim to be the "original" crawler since there all gods among us pezants :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but they are an all about crawling site and are allways on top of the lastest greatest thing happening in the crawler scene. but Hua IS the man when it comes to finding out who started this whole thing. i actually purchased one of the original RC crawlers that was in the RC mags twice on the subject of crawling years ago.

Toyofast
Approved Member

Post by Toyofast » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:08 am

What's a Crawler?

TIER
Approved Member

Post by TIER » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:38 am

whos highpitch?
Maybe im crazy
Maybe your crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:34 pm

OK............who farted??? :?

rbgerrish
Approved Member

Post by rbgerrish » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:46 pm

shagrat69 wrote:if you really want to know about the ROOTS of RC crawling and where exactly it started and who they were and what RC's they used. contact Hua at RC4WD.com. he was involed in it from the begining and with the originators......the rest are all copy-cats from that point on......and yes they made the first crawler vids years before mudcow was doin it, not that mudcows vids aren't awsome. he's just not the originator.

BTW, everyone at rccrawler will claim to be the "original" crawler since there all gods among us pezants :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but they are an all about crawling site and are allways on top of the lastest greatest thing happening in the crawler scene. but Hua IS the man when it comes to finding out who started this whole thing. i actually purchased one of the original RC crawlers that was in the RC mags twice on the subject of crawling years ago.
I would like to hear who Hua thinks the originators are. I would think that finding the first crawlers would be very difficult, considering there were folks with original Bruisers crawling them when they came out way back when... Hilux's and Blazers too. I guess you'd have to determine what makes a 'crawler,' does it have to be custom, etc... Does locking the diffs in a Tamiya Toyota prerunner and driving it slowly over a custom trial course count? What about the Germans? They've been doing trial stuff for years.. Dont forget all the Clod conversions (Thundertech, Clodzilla, etc..) that people most certainly rock crawled with around the country. If you'r going to do a history article, you migh want to include things like the "The first state-wide crawling club," the "First organized competitions," and of course end it with the USRCCA nationals in Moab...

just a few thoughts!
ryan

rckjeep
Approved Member

Post by rckjeep » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:44 pm

how about asking people about what there first "crawler" was. My first vehicle was a locked Wild Willy II. It wasn't much of a crawler but I did make some modifications to make it work better. I used a torquey motor, a small pinion, took the foams out of my Masher 2k's, and played with the suspension. Then I got a TXT a built a true crawler. Then the scale bug bit me and it was pretty much over.

oldShovelhead
Approved Member

Post by oldShovelhead » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:12 pm

shagrat69 wrote:OK............who farted??? :?
um, ice melted?

rbgerrish
Approved Member

Post by rbgerrish » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:46 pm

shagrat69 wrote:if you really want to know about the ROOTS of RC crawling and where exactly it started and who they were and what RC's they used. contact Hua at RC4WD.com. he was involed in it from the begining and with the originators......the rest are all copy-cats from that point on......and yes they made the first crawler vids years before mudcow was doin it, not that mudcows vids aren't awsome. he's just not the originator.

You have pics of this 'original' crawler? From what truck is it based? Have a date when it was built? Just curious...

ryan

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:54 pm

well i'm not sure of the exact time/date but the truck was on the cover of R/C car mag for the second time in May 2002 in an artical named "Rock-crawler revisited" "the ultimate 4x4 torture test!" the artical says the truck belonged to R/C CAR columnist "Richard Trujillo" and was named "Bruisernaut" obviously a bruiser based truck. when i purchased the truck Hua mentioned Richard was a Team Losi manager of some sort. i'm not sayin it's the first person to "crawl" an RC but it WAS the first ones acknowledged in a mag as a rock crawler. they made video's and everything about it. they were all basicly minimaly modded bruisers and there performance wasn't poop but it was crawling with the intention of rock crawling. if you don't like the story contact R/C car and Hua and fight with them. there the ones makeing the claim. i'm just repeating what was said and what was written in the mag. since the 2002 artical was a "revisit" then the first artical was obviously awhile before it. i'm sure somewhere there was a guy that did it first but it's recognition that counts. pics of the truck are around. i'll see if i can locate an original one. my main comp fried a power supply and it has about 30,000 of my pics in it. here's a link to a video of them......

VIDEO

it's not the otiginal sound track tho, it's a compilation of clips put together

badger

Post by badger » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:55 am

shagrat69 wrote:well i'm not sure of the exact time/date but the truck was on the cover of R/C car mag for the second time in May 2002 in an artical named "Rock-crawler revisited" "the ultimate 4x4 torture test!" the artical says the truck belonged to R/C CAR columnist "Richard Trujillo" and was named "Bruisernaut" obviously a bruiser based truck. when i purchased the truck Hua mentioned Richard was a Team Losi manager of some sort. i'm not sayin it's the first person to "crawl" an RC but it WAS the first ones acknowledged in a mag as a rock crawler. they made video's and everything about it. they were all basicly minimaly modded bruisers and there performance wasn't poop but it was crawling with the intention of rock crawling. if you don't like the story contact R/C car and Hua and fight with them. there the ones makeing the claim. i'm just repeating what was said and what was written in the mag. since the 2002 artical was a "revisit" then the first artical was obviously awhile before it. i'm sure somewhere there was a guy that did it first but it's recognition that counts. pics of the truck are around. i'll see if i can locate an original one. my main comp fried a power supply and it has about 30,000 of my pics in it. here's a link to a video of them......

VIDEO

I hate it when my "main comp fry's it's power supply" when I need to get this important pic of the "original" crawler. :roll:

I'll bet your dog ate your home work alot growing up.

shagrat69
Approved Member

Post by shagrat69 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:34 pm

badger wrote:
shagrat69 wrote:well i'm not sure of the exact time/date but the truck was on the cover of R/C car mag for the second time in May 2002 in an artical named "Rock-crawler revisited" "the ultimate 4x4 torture test!" the artical says the truck belonged to R/C CAR columnist "Richard Trujillo" and was named "Bruisernaut" obviously a bruiser based truck. when i purchased the truck Hua mentioned Richard was a Team Losi manager of some sort. i'm not sayin it's the first person to "crawl" an RC but it WAS the first ones acknowledged in a mag as a rock crawler. they made video's and everything about it. they were all basicly minimaly modded bruisers and there performance wasn't poop but it was crawling with the intention of rock crawling. if you don't like the story contact R/C car and Hua and fight with them. there the ones makeing the claim. i'm just repeating what was said and what was written in the mag. since the 2002 artical was a "revisit" then the first artical was obviously awhile before it. i'm sure somewhere there was a guy that did it first but it's recognition that counts. pics of the truck are around. i'll see if i can locate an original one. my main comp fried a power supply and it has about 30,000 of my pics in it. here's a link to a video of them......

VIDEO

I hate it when my "main comp fry's it's power supply" when I need to get this important pic of the "original" crawler. :roll:

I'll bet your dog ate your home work alot growing up.

go to the R/C car website and look up the mag......it's right there on the cover!!! and everyone has seen the pics thousands of times the video shows the truck very clearly. it's the blue ford, and the rest of them as well. there isn't a "single" truck that i'm speaking of so to speak. there's a whole group of them and they all belong to the same guy who's name was stated allready. like i said "if you don't like the story contact Hua and Richard and fight with them. it's there story and it's there artical in the mag. how bout i take pics of the mag for ya.......