Your 1st!

For general R/C discussions that do not fit into any of the specific categories below.
New members please stop in here and introduce yourselves.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in this forum!
spider
Approved Member

Your 1st!

Post by spider » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:25 am

:twisted:
Here is my first remote control vehicle. It's was made by Sears :lol: Takes 4 "C" batteries and 2-9 volts. Still runs although it doesnt steer. So I have to rig something up to get it going again.
As you can see it's not even as wide as a 12" rule. Im guessing it's 1/18 scale.
Anyone else have one of these out there? It's from the late 70's. Yea it's D.R.O.F. but as I said before they are a hit or miss with me.
I had a mountain man from Nikko before this one but I didnt like having to buy numerous batteries to run it back then. I know it was more than the 6 this one took. Anyone have a picture of that suburban mountain man.

Share your first if you still have em or if you have one like this.
----------------------------------
Beer Drinkers & Hellraisers
For Those About To
Rock Crawl,
We Salute You!!!!

$ubzero

Post by $ubzero » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:45 am

Ive got one kicken around here in a box somewhere....Although I thought they were made by radio shack??....I put a sno-plow on mine & locked the 4wd unit(not really diffs)put in a ESC & servo & 6 sub-c s & it worked quite good but it has no suspension whatsoever :cry: .Ill dig it out & post a pic of it.One of my first RCs was a tyco turbo hopper(im lookin for one for memories sake),& a tunnel hull boat with a K&B 7.5(im a boat guy).
$.
When you have worked with the dead for so long you become one

AGUILAR3
Approved Member

Post by AGUILAR3 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:08 am

This is the RC that De-Virginized me :oops:
Attachments
pic033.jpg
pic033.jpg (50.87 KiB) Viewed 715 times
pic030.jpg
pic030.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Yup!!!!....this is as good as it gets folks.

keithc6

Post by keithc6 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:00 am

And for me it was this...
Attachments
79_3.jpg
79_3.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 705 times
The #1 Source for BS------------ http://ceesix.com/

Sypher
Approved Member

Post by Sypher » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:17 am

My first real rc was a clod but I had countless cheapo ones. The one I remember most was my NIKKO Kicker. I was so amazed with it then. :lol:
"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

toyranosaur

Post by toyranosaur » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:33 am

Turbo Hopper was my 1st, too: I've still got mine! A short time after I got it, I bought a Kyosho Turbo Rocky, which kinda outclassed the poor 'Hopper: So I put on a Revell body I had, and put 266 brass screws in the tyres so I could run it on hardpack. I would also like to find a stocker for old time's sake, but all the ones I see are not quite the same: One day...
Attachments
vintageforumpics1 007.jpg
vintageforumpics1 007.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Chris, Rogue Element Components

toyranosaur

Post by toyranosaur » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:34 am

Ouch!
Attachments
vintageforumpics1 008.jpg
vintageforumpics1 008.jpg (59.81 KiB) Viewed 691 times

AGUILAR3
Approved Member

Post by AGUILAR3 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:40 am

Chris, that body Looks WICKED and those tires.....WELL,:twisted:
Yup!!!!....this is as good as it gets folks.

Electrohacker

Post by Electrohacker » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:48 am

my first toy was a radioshack 4X4... it was black took 4 c's and a 9v and a 9v in the controller I got it for christmas... I turned it into a robot with plans from a boys life and a few years later the electrics blew out.

my first hobby class was a tamiya king blackfoot which I still have to rebuild since I stole parts to build my clod the first time....

toyranosaur

Post by toyranosaur » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks Aggy! Y'know, whilst it was not radio controlled, my very first 'remotely operated' toy was a little yellow van called 'Maxx Machine': It had a hand-held 'clicker' ( that was very loud & irritating to the parents!) You would click it once for straight, twice for left, 3 times for right, etc. A sound reciever of some type would make the van move. Anyone ever see one of these? It woulda been about 30 years ago. I actually missed a mint one of these on Ebay by not paying attention awhile back (It went for $4 and went to some jerk who probably threw it out when he got it & realized it wasn't a true Remote Control car for his $4. DANG!)

brushlesspede

Post by brushlesspede » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:57 pm

Hey spider I had that same truck when I was about 8 years old :D I loved it but it found it's way into the mud and water and for some reason it quit working :o
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

spider
Approved Member

Post by spider » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:55 am

Great posts. Looking forward to seeing subzero's. I agree subzero there is no suspension at all. Like a chooper. :lol: I thought about doing something with it but Ill probably leave it as is. I already have broken a wheel which I have forgotten about. The epoxy has been smuched all over the back rear wheel. Probably from pulling stuff in my younger years. I dont really recall. Underneath the chassis and on the remote hand control should read Sears. At least mine does. Oh well no biggie.
Aggy that was a beauty that took your virginity. ;) Nice nitro.

brushlesspede, you sound the same as I was. Throw it in there and see what it can do. Ususally bad things happen after that. :lol: This one for some reason I took care of to a certain point. It does have some dings and removable grill but surprisingly it made it this far.
Beer Drinkers & Hellraisers
For Those About To
Rock Crawl,
We Salute You!!!!

hexus
Approved Member

Post by hexus » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:57 pm

I don't have any pics of my first...
Midnight Pumpkin.... e1 who knows me knows what happened to it - I prefer not to bring it up here... :wink:
only drove it maybe once - mostly let AM drive it.

It was SO cute!!

I was given the link to it by TStrike (since he knew I was looking for one for myself) & picked it up for $70 shipped).

*shrug* life goes on... we're in the midst of fixing up some stuff around the house that some scary dude set up wrong in the 60s/70s...
Like a 3-pront outlet - when removed - the ground wire was still dangling bundled behind it!! :shock: We're checking outlets FIRST lol...
When life hands you lemons use them to squirt lemon juice into the eyes of your enemies.

jwrape
Approved Member

Post by jwrape » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:28 pm

Yes, i actually collect them from when i was a kid. Got the Thunder Van, a couple of those 4x4's, a old Firebird, a couple of Jeep. i actually gave my Dad one of the jeeps as a Xmas gift to remind him of the ol' days.
I would post pics, but RCpics.net is holding them hostage, maybe later when i can get them to load. :x
Thorp Big Brute,JrX10 (RC10 and JrX2 combined), 26.5" Nitro Swamp buggy, TLT/Emaxx Hybrid, 2 TLT Custom Scale Jeeps, 1 TLT Unimog, Blackfoot, Grasshopper w/black`foot conversion, 1/6 Jeep TJ & Misc. Vintage Sears RC

hemiclod

Post by hemiclod » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:36 am

heres mine the midnight pumpkin still runs like it was new. :D :D
Attachments
pumpkin4.JPG
pumpkin4.JPG (64.16 KiB) Viewed 570 times