Qusetions on My Thunder Tech Ripper vs zrp diablo

Support forum for Thunder Tech Racing.
http://www.thundertechracing.com/

Moderators: Thunder Tech Pres., Thunder VP

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Qusetions on My Thunder Tech Ripper vs zrp diablo

Post by TnTpoof » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:14 am

Ok I'm new to clods about a month.but not new to rc racing..

Purchased a Thunder Tech Ripper chassis.complete.from a sponsored TT Sponsored Racer.
Running 12t brushed revolution motors 325oz,servo with .080 response time,,

I ran against the Guy that makes the ZRP chassis. and was .65 to 1.3 seconds behind him on a 7.5 second track that was fastest of day,

My truck just could not turn like his..I never rolled it but he did..My TT just could not turn .was not sure it was my own Fear of rolling or lack of turning radius ???

so am i wasting my time with this Model or should i change servo and arm and get more turning radius.

I already put a slightly longer servo arm aluminum and removed servo saver (dynamite or dubro unsure)

SFC K
Administrator

Re: Qusetions on My Thunder Tech Ripper vs zrp diablo

Post by SFC K » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:17 am

My guess would be tires which you did not mention. It sounds like you are running top of the line electronics...
Jeff

Kingclod27
Approved Member

Post by Kingclod27 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:13 am

The Diablo has a nice steering setup and a nice sway bar setup, that could be the reason
The Original Monster Truck

SPEED.......I..AM..SPEED

http://www.youtube.com/user/geeboo27

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:55 pm

The Diablo runs the same steering setup as my ripper..only thing his servo is horizontal to axial and mine is parallel..
as for tires im running the imex puller and he was running Imex baja..

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:28 pm

You sound like you might run in the MI or IL series. Did you buy your truck from Jimmy or Dan and are you referring to Jon Zyck?

I feel that anyone can beat anyone else with many of the modified racing chassis for the clodbuster. Take this young guy named Chad last year, he won Winter Super Pull, Spring Nationals and World Nationals with an older "Powers" chassis. I have owned a lot of different race chassis (now I have 6 diablos) and the steering setup can be somewhat universal.

To get the most out of your steering you have to use CVD's and do the steering hub mod (it's a sticky at the top of the clod forum section). Having a servo with decent torque and fast transit speed is also a must. I use a savox 1258TG, it has titanium gears like 150oz of torque with .07 transit speed at 6V. In addition you need a good aluminum steering arm, I have never used a superlong one or a cheap one but just one that has good clamping power onto the servo so it doesn't strip out. I use racers edge and have been looking at robotronics.

Personally I prefer ZRP steering servo mounts over the TTR ones for a couple of reasons... 1) it's super low profile and when used with an aluminum arm for carpet racing it gets naturally the short steering arm almost parallel the the longer BTA steering arm that stretches from wheel to wheel. The more you can make these two arms parallel the better sensitivity and accuracy of steering. 2) Jon's steering servo mount connects to the axle in three positions and ensures that the servo mount will not flex under load, I experienced the TTR one doing that, then having to re-tight. Brad has addressed this issue himself and may be offering up his new design to those that ask him.

Both Brad (TTR) and Jon (ZRP) are good friends, both racers, they love the hobby and work toward producing better products- feel free to contact either one of them for advice. Once again, is one chassis better than the other... it's more driving than anything really. The TTR one is older but has been used successfully by many drivers for years. I choose the diablos because of the adjustability, new product support and different configurations for my driving style.

Also believe it or not your suspension and link setup has a lot to do with the ability to make that thing turn faster. If you run dual brushless setups, you can setup to have the rear brake at 75% and the front brake at 25%- this really flips that backend around. Also you angle of your upper link mounts can affect your body roll into corners. Short wheelbase vs long wheelbase. All these little things you have to play with and test out at the track.

If you are going to the MI series, look me up and I can share more with you in person.
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

ironcorn
Approved Member

Post by ironcorn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:42 pm

I own both trucks, a ZRP and a Ripper. The BTA's are very similar with only small differences. The ZRP uses a shoulder bolt (Traxxas I think) to attach the link to the hubs where as the Ripper BTA uses a special insert that eliminates any slop; not that the ZRP has much to speak of.

Between the two trucks, I liken the Ripper engineering to a Ferrari; exotic and artistic and the ZRP to a Porsche; utilitarian and heavy duty, well thought out. Both truck are fast and awesome.

Did the ZRP have 4WS? I do on mine and it turns like nothing I've driven. The key is having a radio that allows you to adjust the rate between front and rear steering. I usually run with rear steer doing about 20 - 60% of what the front is doing. Set the rate adjustment to an external switch and you can run for speed or handling, adjusting on the fly, without any issues from too much rear steer.

The standard Ripper sway bars are a little weak, but the CNC sway bars are beefier (and super cool). The ZRP sways are really beefy, so maybe truck set up and driving came into play? You said it was the guy that makes the ZRP? I'm willing to bet he can drive his own creation to the limit!
Last edited by ironcorn on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Yes to Mi series ..see u there..
I switched the TTR servo mount with my own a 1/8" spring steel one I made myself as I dont trust that series of carbon fiber that was on this clod.as most of it is G10 .both old and new have the 3 screw mount..
I run the same servo in every RC i own..I found it best to keep that the same..
I think It was just my lack of skill with this clod is all..
No its not Jimmy G's or Dan Defores it was HB old clod..Im unsure of the ZRP guys name I dont remember peoples name..just one of my things..All I know is he told me he made the ZRP chassis and sold them without a website (kinda said what ..and scratched my head when he said that..)
Thanks
I'll keep all you said in mind and I will only adjust one item at a time as That's one thing I have learned thru my racing...

Ironcorn -BINGO that's it ..he had both axles steer ..He had nothing on me with his 4800kv brushless redline 448 .to my matched 12t brushed that are faster than his but I was lacking 15 feet to top my motors out.as 4 pinion mine are stock 13 his unknown..Down the Longest straightaway I had him but lost ground in turns
rt 4 me was .012 and his where .025 on Mikey's new timing system..
I'm sure he can drive it to its limit being the maker..but I'm no slouch when it comes to RC racing

stangnomore
Approved Member

Post by stangnomore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:54 pm

You need to setup the truck for you. Right now it is setup for HB. Once you do that you will become more comfortable with it and your driving will get better.

All my trucks have 2WS not 4WS. I have not found the need to go to 4WS yet.
I am ZRP Racing!

TnTpoof
Banned Member

Post by TnTpoof » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 am

I spent 6 hours at the track yesterday and made adjustments .. b4 that I tore entire truck down and completely rebuild it from ground up..all new bearing screws all..I now have a better feel 4 clod and have the confidence to drive it to its Limits..In a month I will see how I stand...LOL

Thanks all 4 the help suggestions and input and a few Eye opening information tips..

Thunder VP
Business Member

Post by Thunder VP » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:03 pm

That's the best way to learn a new truck is to build it from the ground up. Make changes to suit your needs.

I hope to make a couple of the MI races this year. I think I made 3 last year. Just waiting to see the schedule.
Brad, Thunder Tech Racing V.P.
http://www.thundertechracing.com

stangnomore
Approved Member

Post by stangnomore » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 am

Here you go.

10/26/13
11/23/13
12/21/13
1/11/14
2/8/14